Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Deleting unwanted recovery points

Post by marius roma »

The settings of a backup job changed during the time (it was configured as reversed incremental, forward incremental, synthetic full, and so on) but now the job takes a lot of space on the destination disk and there are up to 33 restore points.
The retention policy is set to maintain 7 restore points and deleted VM must be removed after 3 days.
How can I remove the unwanted restore points whitout compromising the latest 7 restore points?
I attempted to use different settings with no result.
The current configuration is reversed incremental, and the last time the job was executed a full backup was created, but no earlier restore point was deleted.
On the disk I see lots of .vib files and a full backup (.vbk) file more than one month old (plus more recent .vbk files).
Is there a command to force the deletion of old restore points?
Can I manually delete .vbk or .vib files belonging to restore points I am sute I don't need (whithout compromising the latest ones)?
Regards
Marius
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Deleting unwanted recovery points

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Marius,
marius roma wrote:The current configuration is reversed incremental, and the last time the job was executed a full backup was created, but no earlier restore point was deleted.
Set retention policy to 2 and run your job for the second time. Once your job creates a new restore point, it should also wipe out previous restore points.
marius roma wrote:Is there a command to force the deletion of old restore points?
No, there is not, as this is not recommended.
marius roma wrote:Can I manually delete .vbk or .vib files belonging to restore points I am sute I don't need (whithout compromising the latest ones)?
You can do that, but these restore points will still be present in the configuration database.

Thanks!
marius roma
Veteran

Post by marius roma »

Thank you for your answer.
Vitaliy S. wrote:Set retention policy to 2 and run your job for the second time. Once your job creates a new restore point, it should also wipe out previous restore points.
What will happen to the 7 restore points I must keep? If I set the restntion policy to 2 will I lose them?
I set the retention policy to 7 and run the job, but no restore point was deleted...
Regards

marius
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You said that you have changed job backup mode different times, what is the current setting? Reversed incremental mode? What is the files structure in the repository? I assume you have VBK + VIB, VBK + VRB, correct? How many files do you have right now on the disk and when you review available restore points in the backup console?
marius roma
Veteran

Post by marius roma »

Vitaliy S. wrote:You said that you have changed job backup mode different times, what is the current setting? Reversed incremental mode? What is the files structure in the repository? I assume you have VBK + VIB, VBK + VRB, correct? How many files do you have right now on the disk and when you review available restore points in the backup console?
The current setting is "Reversed incremental", the retention policy is keeping 7 restore points and on the disk I see about 33 files, all .vib except 3 .vbk files yesterday, 6 days ago and 33 days ago.
I can change the settings.
If I run the job tomorrow can I hope to delete the oldest .vib and .vbk files?
In the console I see 33 recovery points available.
Regards
Marius
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since you have multiple VBK files and VIBs, and have switched to reversed incremental backup mode forcing to create new full backup file, the oldest restore chain should be removed on the next job run. If you don't see this happen, please contact our technical team to verify your job and retention policy configuration. Thanks!