Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Wazzo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon

Backup Copy corrupt

Post by Wazzo »

Hi,

I logged a case regarding a backup copy that failed on transform, unfortunately, I have not got a resolution from Veeam support on an open case and in the meantime my storage has now filled and I am now not backing up offsite. I understand that a backup copy has caused a corruption in a vib file so will not transform and prune the backups.

I attempted to move the vib files to a different location and start from the initial vbk again. This too failed.

How can I get my backup copy jobs running again without seeding a total backup from source?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy corrupt

Post by veremin »

I logged a case regarding a backup copy that failed on transform
Can you provide your ticket number, so that, we can take a look at the case?
meantime my storage has now filled and I am now not backing up offsite
I'm wondering whether you're talking about primary (backup jobs) or secondary backup repository (backup copy jobs).
I understand that a backup copy has caused a corruption in a vib file so will not transform and prune the backups.
What particular error did you get from backup copy job?
I attempted to move the vib files to a different location and start from the initial vbk again. This too failed.
Not sure whether I completely understand you. You're saying that you removed latest incremental files from backup copy job, leaving only .vbk file in place, and tried to start synchronization anew without any success?

Thanks.
Wazzo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon

Post by Wazzo »

Hi, case is 00530759

The primary is on-site, the backup copy is offsite. The backup is functioning fine currently. The backup copy was working until it had to do the transform, which failed and subsequently did not prune off the old backups, filled up the drive and now I don't have offsite backups.

Backup copy fail messages (lots):

Code: Select all

16/03/2014 09:29:32 :: Failed to transform full backup. Terminated at 16/03/2014 09:36:14
16/03/2014 09:29:51 :: Failed to create restore point 06/03/2014 07:00:00
16/03/2014 09:36:14 :: Patch failed
If I remove out all the vib files and rescan repository and resubmit I get:

17/03/2014 11:04:36 :: Error: Client error: File not found.
Agent failed to process method {Stg.OpenReadWrite}.
Add a couple of the oldest vib files and I get for all VM's:

17/03/2014 09:28:31 :: Processing 'TYDFODC01.tyd-fo' Error: Unable to initialize remote target session connection: all aliases have failed.
--tr:Failed to open WAN synchronization target.
--tr:Failed to create target task, taskId: '9052064f-9c4c-42a1-906f-ce91f33734ca', xmlDiskSpec: '<targetDiskSpec><agentConnSpec crcEnable="False"><name>blanked</name><addrs><addr>blanked</addr><addr>blanked</addr></addrs><port>2500</port><login>blanked</login><password>blanked
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

According to the support ticket, your backup copy chain became corrupted.

If you're sure that .vbk file is still valid (which might not be true, given transformation failure), you can try the following steps in order to avoid backup copy seeding:

1) Delete all backup copy job restore points from GUI (remove from backups).
2) Transfer either .vbk + .vbm files or .vib files to different location. The point is you should have a location where only .vbk and .vbm files will be stored.
3) Make additional copy of .vbm file.
4) Since .vbm is nothing but an .XML file, you can ask support team to correct it, so that, it has reference only to .vbk file, not to the whole chain. The backup copy job can be mapped to only .vbk file, so this action might allow you to map backup copy job to this file later.
5) Rescan the said location.
6) Create new backup copy job.
7) Map it to the corresponding files.

Thanks.