Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dmatt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Matt

Question about upgrading to 4.1

Post by dmatt »

I am wanting to upgrade from v4 to 4.1, but I'm a little nervous... I'll explain why.

We experienced the undeletable snaps issue, and resolved most of them by doing the "edit the .vmdk to ddb.deletable = "true", snap and delete all method". We also applied the hotfix so the issue wouldn't return.

We did have one VM that the above process did not fix, so I was forced to cold clone. This one is behaving properly now.

Then issue returned on different VM that the fix DID work for.. which was puzzling to me since we had indeed installed the hotfix... This is our exchange server, so I have to plan well for the downtime as I'm guessing the cold clone will take 5+hours. In the meantime the deltas are getting quite fat.

So, knowing that I have some VM's in the state of having undeletable snaps, should I wait to upgrade to 4.1 until I can get them all in shape?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6693 times

Re: Question about upgrading to 4.1

Post by Gostev »

Hello David, you can upgrade now and delete the undeletable snaps later, it does not really matter. Things will not get worse for those VMs. :D

By the way, there are couple of other issues why snaps can be left (even with the fix). One is due to the job manually stopped. Another issue sits in actual vStorage API. Version 4.1 fixes both stopping the job, and vStorage API issue (due to the updated vStorage API redistributables which were released by VMware earlier this month). Thank you!
dmatt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Matt

Re: Question about upgrading to 4.1

Post by dmatt »

Thanks for your prompt reply!