Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
raffis
Novice
Liked: never

Direct san access bottleneck source

Post by raffis »

We have veeam installed on a standalone server with direct san access. Network mode fallback is disabled (san mode will always be used.)
Destination is an iscsi target with 4x1Gbps multipath.

With a benchmark tool I get read speed of 530MB/s / write speed 280MB/s (seq) on a san lun and 360MB/s read/240MB/s write (seq) on
the destination lun.

So a new veeam backup job transfers the backup only with gigabit speed (70-100MB/s), why?
And it told me, that the bottleneck is the source· (04.03.2014 08:21:50 :: Busy: Source 99% > Proxy 62% > Network 3% > Target 0%)

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Direct san access bottleneck source

Post by foggy »

What kind of primary storage do you have?

Try to apply these recommendations, should increase the overall performance of your backup jobs:
Improving direct-from-SAN backup speed with iSCSI SAN
raffis
Novice

Post by raffis »

foggy wrote:What kind of primary storage do you have?
hp 3par storage
foggy wrote: Try to apply these recommendations, should increase the overall performance of your backup jobs:
Improving direct-from-SAN backup speed with iSCSI SAN
[/url]
Sry I did not wrote that we have fibre to the primary storage and iscsi to the destination.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Got it. Then it is worth checking drivers and firmware on HBA and switches and probably playing with MPIO.
raffis
Novice

Post by raffis »

foggy wrote:Got it. Then it is worth checking drivers and firmware on HBA and switches and probably playing with MPIO.
But see my benchmark, why i get the huge speed there and with veeam only gigabit?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Whre do you run the tests from? The Veeam proxy?
Also, it would be useful to know which kind of backup method are you using. for example, with Reversed Backup the tests you did are not real, since reversed icnremental uses 3 I/O per byte instead of 1, and is quite random more than sequential.
In general, I/O tests looking at maximum speed are not correct to measure the expected Veeam speed. What kind of test did you run? I suspect a large sequential operation...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
raffis
Novice

Post by raffis »

Sry for the late response, I had no time until today....
dellock6 wrote:Whre do you run the tests from? The Veeam proxy?
Yes.
dellock6 wrote: Also, it would be useful to know which kind of backup method are you using. for example, with Reversed Backup the tests you did are not real, since reversed icnremental uses 3 I/O per byte instead of 1, and is quite random more than sequential.
In general, I/O tests looking at maximum speed are not correct to measure the expected Veeam speed. What kind of test did you run? I suspect a large sequential operation...
All tests with veeam were done always with new jobs and one vm to backup (default settings, (incremental , full)), so I would get always a full backup with the first run.

I don't get it. I did some tests again.

Design:
fibre lun - san switch - standalone windows server (veeam) - (iscsi 4x1Gbps) - backup storage server

Fullbackup, vm (80GB), took 15min, that is actually gigabit speed. Again I copy from firbe lun to iscsi lun (4x1Gbs). Bottleneck is Source. (19.03.2014 09:02:28 :: Load: Source 95% > Proxy 67% > Network 17% > Target 11%)
processing rate: 94MB/s, Speed: 122,9MB/s.

I did the same test (same vm), on the current veeam server (virtual machine, hotadd, destination iscsi 1Gbps), this took 12min, faster than the setup above?? :?: (Bottleneck is Source too, 19.03.2014 09:22:33 :: Load: Source 99% > Proxy 18% > Network 6% > Target 0%, Processing rate: 130MB/s, Speed: 160MB/s)

i/o Benchmark (on veeam proxy, crystaldiskmark):

Code: Select all

[b]Source (Fibre lun):[/b]
5 times, 1000MB:
Seq read: 460MB/s / write: 345MB/s
512K read: 304MB/s / write: 211MB/s
4K read: 22MB/s / write: 12MB/s
4KQD32 read: 240MB/s / write: 8MB/s

[b]Destination (iscsi lun):[/b]
5 times, 1000MB:
Seq read: 365MB/s / write: 240MB/s
512K read: 191MB/s / write: 128MB/s
4K read: 12MB/s / write: 4MB/s
4KQD32 read: 187MB/s / write: 4MB/s

Thanks for help.
dellock6
VeeaMVP

Post by dellock6 »

The DirectSAN test shows higher utilization of the physical proxy, maybe the virtual proxy has much compute power than the physical one? DirectSAN is supposed to be faster, but only if all other elements in the "data pipe" have the same characteristics.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
raffis
Novice

Post by raffis »

dellock6 wrote:The DirectSAN test shows higher utilization of the physical proxy, maybe the virtual proxy has much compute power than the physical one? DirectSAN is supposed to be faster, but only if all other elements in the "data pipe" have the same characteristics.
That could be, but I guess then the bottleneck should be the proxy instead of source. And the pysical proxy did never consumed 100% cpu, averrage is 70%.
dellock6
VeeaMVP

Post by dellock6 »

No, bottlenecks are not absolute values, they show you the time spent by a resource in an active state. In your situation, storage is always the bottleneck since it's always running for 99% or 95% of the time. In one case, proxy was running for only 18% of the time, that means the other 82% was waiting for another component (and is supposed it's the source, looking at numbers).
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1