Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pwjohnston
Novice
Liked: never

Automating new backups?

Post by pwjohnston »

Is it possible to automate the adding of newly created virtual machines to a backup job or just being alerted that new machines are available to be backed up and are not? I have a situation where we don’t really have a process for creating new VMs and as such sometimes machines are created and I’m not told my the Admins that they put this up and I need to set up a backup for it.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Automating new backups?

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

How do you add VMs into jobs? The recommended way is to add VMs using VM containers (folders/datastores/hosts, etc.), thus all new VMs will be picked up by the jobs automatically.
pwjohnston
Novice

Post by pwjohnston »

Ah, I get it. There was never any folders set up originally so I added all VMs individually into one big consolidated just and removed the ones we didn’t need backed up. The problem recently has been though that I have grouped these into 8 different backup jobs with about 10 VMs in each. A backup job runs, then a replication job runs so that the VMs don’t both take snapshots at the same time.

That answers my question, thanks foggy.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Actually, if any VM is added to two jobs (backup/replication), it will not be processed/snapshotted at the same time by these jobs. One job will automatically wait till VM is processed by the first job, and only then will start the backup process.
pwjohnston
Novice

Post by pwjohnston »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Actually, if any VM is added to two jobs (backup/replication), it will not be processed/snapshotted at the same time by these jobs. One job will automatically wait till VM is processed by the first job, and only then will start the backup process.
I'm not sure, I'm still fairly new to using Veeam B&R, but I was told to separate the jobs and to run the replication after the backup job with VMs that had already completed backup by a Veeam support tech.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can be sure that if both jobs are created within a single Veeam B&R management server, the job that has started later will wait for the first job to finish and "release" the VM.