Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marky
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Coleman

Backup suggestions

Post by marky »

Now that we're got some test backups 'active full' working I'd like some suggestions on creating a backup process / policy

Our VM backups will be across the wire to our dedicated Veeam server > to Disk. We will then probably backup the VM backups to tape but they need to be of a format that sit within our Disaster Recovery matrix, e.g to be able to restore off site if ever the time arises.

We're thinking along the lines of first is a full backup, then incremental (we haven't decided whether we go for periodic full).

Since I've performed an 'active full' backup of a test VM, is there a way to run the backup again but at an incremental level or do I have to set these options while creating the job?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup suggestions

Post by foggy »

Mark, not sure what you're asking about. Veeam B&R backups are always incremental, unless you explicitly set the job to perform full during every run.
marky
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Coleman

Post by marky »

Sorry foggy,

Ok, so I setup a backup job for a VM and leave the options pretty much as is (I might set it to application aware). At the moment I have not scheduled them so If I want to run the Job I can either select 'active full' or 'start', what is the difference?

Based on the above, if I run the same job again are you saying it will auto perform an incremental because looking at the size difference of the backup files there doesn't seem to be any.

There's plenty of reads out there, such as this one http://vtricks.com/?p=1258 but I'd like clarification
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

At the moment I have not scheduled them so If I want to run the Job I can either select 'active full' or 'start', what is the difference?
As it stands from its name, "active full" will perform full backup operation, meanwhile, "start" option will perform either full or incremental run in accordance with the specified schedule. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yep, basically, the "Start" command will initiate full backup only when triggered first time on a day that is selected for the full backup to be performed on in the job settings. Every subsequent job run during the same day will be incremental as well as if the job is triggered during all other days.