Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
feelgood
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Kaulard

decreasing speed during guest file restore (Windows)

Post by feelgood »

Hello,

just doing some comparisons on guest file restores:

I have a physical W2k8 Backupserver with the latest Veeam B&R, vCenter managed ESXi 5.5 with SAN, a virtual Fileserver (W2k8) on it. All local in one LAN, except vCenter-Server.

I check guest file restores of a 850 MB home-dir with 10k files in about 1.300 folders:
"copy - to"-option to a folder on the backup server: quick, 7MB per minute about 2-3 Minutes for the whole restore.
open in Explorer and then copy paste: same thing, fast, good
BUT: direct "Restore" to the original location (deleted first) starts quick, but decreases permanently, now to 120 kBit/s. I wonder if it ends. It runs for more than 2 hours now.

Thanks for response, Michael
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: decreasing speed during guest file restore (Windows)

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Michael,

Do you run native Windows restore wizard or you're using Other OS FLR wizard? Where is repository server located?

Be aware that when using native restore wizard, the required VM volume is mounted to the backup server directly, that is why you see a decent performance while restoring guest OS files. As to restoring to the original location scenario, then traffic goes through the network stack of your ESXi host, and this could be the bottleneck in your case.

Thank you!