Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Ultra_VM
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: David Farrell

Query on VM Recovery

Post by Ultra_VM »

Hi Im testing VEEAM in a test VM environment and its going fine.
I picked a test VM and set it to reverse incremental hourly to the backup servers HDD.
It ran 5-6 times and all successful.
As a test in vCenter I powered off and deleted the VM and tried an instant recovery from VEEAM.
It failed saying "Error: virtual machine has 4096 MB of memory which is larger than the maximum 1024mb supported by the datastore.
Not sure what that means so I did an Entire VM restore and it was successful in 10 mins.

Why did the Instant Recovery fail....

Secondly when I started the reverse incremental hourly backup the server I had restored failed with Task Failed Error: Object ServerName not found.
But it was there as veeam had restored it and it was powered up.

I added in the folder from vcenter where the restore VM was instead of the VM its self in the backup job and it ran fine.
Thing is that it seems to be doing as full backup of the restored VM rather than continue with the old full and reverse incremental.

Am I doing something wrong....
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Query on VM Recovery

Post by foggy »

Ultra_VM wrote:Secondly when I started the reverse incremental hourly backup the server I had restored failed with Task Failed Error: Object ServerName not found.
But it was there as veeam had restored it and it was powered up.

I added in the folder from vcenter where the restore VM was instead of the VM its self in the backup job and it ran fine.
Thing is that it seems to be doing as full backup of the restored VM rather than continue with the old full and reverse incremental.
This is expected, since you've deleted the original VM and the new VM was registered with another moref ID, making Veeam B&R treat it as a new one.
Ultra_VM
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: David Farrell

Post by Ultra_VM »

OK. So will the backup grow because it will have 2 copies on the VM.
One pre restore and one post restore ?

Or will it recognise that they are the same VM...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ultra_VM wrote:OK. So will the backup grow because it will have 2 copies on the VM.
No, since you're using reversed incremental mode and similar blocks will be deduped.