Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gmorris
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Glen Morris

Backup Copy Job Destination

Post by gmorris »

I am looking into setting up a Backup Copy Job and would like to know if the repository [disk drives] needs to be high performance or not.
Our current backup repository which we are replacing soon is a mix of SAS and SATA drives in various RAID configurations, and from experience I would never use SATA or RAID 5 again for the backup repository due to the transformations. What about the Backup copy job locations I am guessing there are no transformations on these drives and SATA or RAID 5 would be ok?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job Destination

Post by foggy »

Glen, actually on reaching the specified number of restore points to keep, backup copy job performs transformation during each run. However, unlike regular backup jobs, it is usually not that critical since backup copy jobs perform their activity outside the main backup window.
gmorris
Enthusiast

Post by gmorris »

OK that makes Sense.
gmorris
Enthusiast

Post by gmorris »

In regards to using an Backup appliance or Dedup appliance for the Backup Copy Job destination is there anything to be aware of or any known issues that have come up with different vendors?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

gmorris wrote:I am looking into setting up a Backup Copy Job and would like to know if the repository [disk drives] needs to be high performance or not.
Your target repository should provide enough IOPS if you want to have decent performance on transform operations.
gmorris wrote:In regards to using an Backup appliance or Dedup appliance for the Backup Copy Job destination is there anything to be aware of or any known issues that have come up with different vendors?
Dedupe appliances are usually painfully slow at serving random IOPs, that is why a transform operation might be slow as well in these cases. However, as foggy has correctly mentioned this should not be that critical as this process does not impact your primary backup jobs.

Please search these forums for more feedback on dedupe appliances and backup copy jobs > http://forums.veeam.com/search.php?st=0 ... erformance