Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kellison
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ken Ellison

Veeam Ver 4.1 Locking Up

Post by kellison »

Every since I upgraded my VMWare 4 Veeam server to version 4.1 I am having problems with this server locking up while trying to run backups. It is a Windows 2003 Server R2 DataCenter X64 SP1 and has all the windows updates applied. Currently I have 2 vCPU's and 3GB of RAM assigned to this VM. I tried to increase that to 4 vCPU's and 12GB of RAM but that did not seem to help any.

I have it setup so that the backups are using either the SAN with Failover or the Virtual Appliance option and the Destination for backups is an ESX server - /vmfs/volumes/backups - which is a datastore with over 600GB free space.

The backups vary from only one server and a few of them may have 4 servers within the same backup. It does not appear to matter how many servers it is backing up.

I also noticed on this VM when I edited the settings that there were 6 new Hard Drives added to it - that appeared to be pointing to other servers. These I did not add - it appears they were added via the Veeam application? Why?

Hope someone can provide me with some assistance. Thanks Ken >
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: Veeam Ver 4.1 Locking Up

Post by Gostev »

Hello Ken, adding the drives is a part of Hot Add process that Virtual Appliance mode backup is based on, but this drives should be removed automatically in the end of backup. Most likely, you Backup server lockups prevent this.

As for actual lockups, please open a case with our support for troubleshooting. There are no known issues and I have not seen similar reports yet, so this needs to be investigated with full log files research.
kellison
Enthusiast

Post by kellison »

Thank you for the reply. I have heard some resellers state that it is not recommended you run the Veeam on a VM server and others say that is the way to go. What is your recommendations? Is 2 vCPU's and 3GB of RAM enough? The IBM HS22 Blades that we are using - a total of 3 - have a lot of power both in memory and CPU and our SAN is the latest/greatest from IBM - an XIV SAN connected to the blade center via fiber. So I wouldn't think that it is an I/O problem?

Thanks Ken ?
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

Hi Ken,

Please can you try this on your Backup Server VM, as hot add mode doesnt release the disks automatically and you have to add this command manually ( only once but if you reboot the server you have to add it again ) this will stop the disks being made and hopefully resolve the issue please let me know as i also had issues with 23 extra disks added which was causing problems

thanks

Trev

open dos prompt

type DISKPART then return

type AUTOMOUNT DISABLE then return

( should then say automatic mounting of new disks disabled )
exit then exit to close the dos prompt,
kellison
Enthusiast

Post by kellison »

Trev,

I did ask you asked to my VM running the Veeam. I'll run some backups today/tonight and see how things go and let you know the results.

Thanks Ken >
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

ken,

also check the VM where your veeam backer server is hosted to make sure in the settings you only see the amount of hard disks attached ( as in if its just 1 disk make sure any remainign hot add disks are removed ) let me know how you get on

thanks

trev