Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nmace
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Correct Number of Veeam Proxies?

Post by nmace »

We're now running almost 100% on our new Nutanix cluster. As such, the "SAN Mode" backup model no longer applies. I've deployed a single VM to the cluster to act as the proxy for backing up VMs. To get the best performance, how many Veeam Proxy VMs should I have? I do have times when I have more than one VM being backed up from the cluster @ once (multiple jobs). Should I have a Veeam Proxy for each host in the cluster?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Correct Number of Veeam Proxies?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please tell us how many VMs you're backing up? The more proxy servers you have, the more VMs you can process in parallel. If we talking about rough numbers, then single CPU core will be used to process one virtual disk of the VM. In order to say how many proxy servers you need, you should know how many VMs you're backing up and what is your backup window.
nmace
Enthusiast

Post by nmace »

Roughly ~65 VMs a night.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

If you are meeting your backup window, then there are no reasons to have additional backup proxies. Otherwise, adding more proxies might help to shorten the overall time to backup your whole environment. Thanks!
nmace
Enthusiast

Post by nmace »

Interesting. For some reason I was think because the proxy used SCSI commands to hot add the VMDK of them VM-thats-being-backed-up to itself, that you needed to have a proxy on each host. What happens if the proxy is being used to backup VM1 and the job for VM2 kicks off? The proxy isn't available, so does VM2 get backed up via Network mode in that case?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

As long as at least one backup proxy is available that can backup the given VM in processing mode other than network mode, the job will wait for said proxy to become available.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

nmace wrote:Interesting. For some reason I was think because the proxy used SCSI commands to hot add the VMDK of them VM-thats-being-backed-up to itself, that you needed to have a proxy on each host.
Not necessarily on each host. General requirement is: in order to use hotadd, proxy VM should have access to all datastores you're backing up VMs from.
nmace wrote:What happens if the proxy is being used to backup VM1 and the job for VM2 kicks off? The proxy isn't available, so does VM2 get backed up via Network mode in that case?
Proxy availability depends on how many tasks (i.e. VM disks) it is capable to process simultaneously (keeping in mind that only single disk of a given VM can be hotadded by a given proxy at a time, which is essential for VM's with multiple disks).
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Adding a couple of suggestions for nutanix: when running on NFS, it's indeed the best possible design to have one proxy per ESXi server, and configure the advanced parameter EnableSameHostHotaddMode. With it you can avoid NFS locking problems that can happen with proxies not running on the same ESXi server of the saved VM.
Otherwise, since Nutanix has 10G connectivity, network mode can be in this scenario a really good alternative, especially for VMs with a small daily change rate.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1