Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
b.vanhaastrecht
Service Provider
Liked: 154 times
Full Name: Bastiaan van Haastrecht

Feature Reqest: Remote single restorepoint from chain

Post by b.vanhaastrecht »

Hi,

According to http://forums.veeam.com/powershell-f26/ ... 21061.html with the current version of Veeam 7 it's not posible to delete a single restorepoint from within the chain. There are situations you need to delete a temporarely created full. Or, when storage is getting full you want to consolitate a part of the chain. Deleting restorepoints requires some commmits/transforms to be done at the remaining restorepoints to preserve the chain.

To my opinion a feature to delete restorepoints would be a good adition to Veeam B&R.
======================================================
Veeam ProPartner, Service Provider and a proud Veeam Legend
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Feature Reqest: Remote single restorepoint from chain

Post by dellock6 »

In order to delete a point in the chain, our software should also have to consolidate blocks into one of the other restore point, otherwise the chain itself is broken. So it's not as easy as it would seems.
If you need to consolidate a chain, have you considered forward incremental with transforms for example?
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
b.vanhaastrecht
Service Provider
Liked: 154 times
Full Name: Bastiaan van Haastrecht

Post by b.vanhaastrecht »

dellock6 wrote:In order to delete a point in the chain, our software should also have to consolidate blocks into one of the other restore point, otherwise the chain itself is broken. So it's not as easy as it would seems.
Yes, understand. Depending on what you want to delete, full or incrental, the data needs to be committed.
dellock6 wrote:If you need to consolidate a chain, have you considered forward incremental with transforms for example?
for instance, I need to consolidate a part of a chain. Or, I need to remove a full somewere in the middle of the chain. To my knowlegde, this is not posible.

(I'm not concerned about consolidating a full chain, as there are options to consolidate this.)
======================================================
Veeam ProPartner, Service Provider and a proud Veeam Legend
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

b.vanhaastrecht wrote:There are situations you need to delete a temporarely created full.
Why not use VeeamZIP to create such temporary full instead?