Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Chriss
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Steenkamp

Veeam setup

Post by Chriss »

Hello.
I have just purchsed the new Veeam Backup and replication, and plan to implemen next week.
I have an HP EVA 6000 SAN at my productin site, with an HP C class enclosure and servers attached. I have a DR site, with a very similar hardware setup.
what is best practice, and how ill I get the best performasnce using replication. Unfortunately i am in South Africa, and bandwith is a major expense here. i I have 14Meg available between my productin site and DR, and will hopefully be replication SAP servers to the DR site. I will be running Veeam on a 64 bit Windows Server 2008 R2, with 12G of RAM and 8 processors:
1.Where would I install he Veeam server, at Productin or DR?
2. What will give me the best performance, the VMware vStorage API SAN with failover/SAN only or network. The Veeam server will have direct access to the SAN at the production site.

Do you perhaps have a "Best Practices" guide line?
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Re: Veeam setup

Post by TrevorBell »

Chriss,

Im sure Gostev will answer this better than me but -:

1. I would install Veeam in a virtual machine at your production site.
2. If you have Vmware Enterprise Edition you can take advangtage of faster backup speeds using Virtual Appliance backup mode, feature uses HOT ADD mode. ( called Virtual Applicance in Veeam ) and is slightly faster than Vstorage API SAN , network mode is the slowest mode of backup due to vmware limitations.
ChrisWhorton
Lurker
Full Name: Chris Whorton

Post by ChrisWhorton »

I thought I might try to get answer here. I am new to Veeam.
I am still evaluating Veeam Backup & Restoration (VBR).
I have setup VBR on 2008 std with iSCSI powerpath access to SAN.
I can see all the LUNs and disks in windows, however, get the following error message when trying to backup direct from SAN to 2008 server.

Unable to establish direct connection to the shared storage (SAN).
Please ensure that:
- HBA is properly installed in the Veeam Backup server computer, or software iSCSI initiator is configured correctly.
- SAN volume can be seen by operating system in the Windows Disk Management snap-in on the Veeam Backup server.
- Read access is allowed for the Veeam Backup server computer on the corresponding LUN (refer to your SAN documentation).

Direct SAN connection is not available, failing over to network mode...

Any help would be appreciated so that I can continue to evaluate with this mode.

Chris
Chriss
Novice

Post by Chriss »

TrevorBell wrote:Chriss,

Im sure Gostev will answer this better than me but -:

1. I would install Veeam in a virtual machine at your production site.
2. If you have Vmware Enterprise Edition you can take advangtage of faster backup speeds using Virtual Appliance backup mode, feature uses HOT ADD mode. ( called Virtual Applicance in Veeam ) and is slightly faster than Vstorage API SAN , network mode is the slowest mode of backup due to vmware limitations.
Trevor,
Dumb question, but how do I know if I am running Ebterprise Edition?
I have installed as per your post, but when I start the job, I get "Unable to connect to service"?
Chriss
Novice

Post by Chriss »

Got everything working now!!!
Amazing how the disk drives look when you use the virtual appliance!!!
Chriss
Novice

Post by Chriss »

ents, this is the error I now recieve:

Replicating file "[SAPPROD] CENTSAP36/CENTSAP36-flat.vmdk"
BackupDisk failed
Client error: The specified transports are not available. Available transports: [nbd]. Specified transports: [hotadd]. VMDK path: [[SAPPROD] CENTSAP36/CENTSAP36-000006.vmdk].

Server error: The specified transports are not available. Available transports: [nbd]. Specified transports: [hotadd]. VMDK path: [[SAPPROD] CENTSAP36/CENTSAP36-000006.vmdk].
Failed to process VM disk backup. VMDK path: [vddk://<vddkConnSpec><viConn name="CENTVC.tfmc.co.za" authdPort="443" vicPort="443" /><vmxPath vmRef="vm-1123" datacenterRef="datacenter-22" datacenterInventoryPath="TFMSG" snapshotRef="snapshot-213015" datastoreName="SAPPROD" path="CENTSAP36/CENTSAP36.vmx" /><vmdkPath datastoreName="SAPPROD" path="CENTSAP36/CENTSAP36-000006.vmdk" /><transports seq="hotadd" /><readBuffer size="2097152" /></vddkConnSpec>].
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Post by Gostev »

Either CENTSAP36 VM has IDE disks, or [SAPPROD] storage is not connected to ESX server running Veeam Backup VM. These are the most common reasons. If this is not the case, please contact our support for full logs analysis.

Keep in mind that you can search the forums with the error text you are getting, and almost always you will find an existing thread or two discussing the same problem and resolutions.
Chriss
Novice

Post by Chriss »

Gostev, CENTSAP36 and PROD storage are definitely connected. They all form part of the same eclosure, disk groupson VMware etc.