Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pauliem
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Wan Acceleration Required?

Post by pauliem »

I am examining how to best replicate our backups to one of our other sites and I would like to clarify if my thinking is correct.

Current Environment

We have two ESXi servers running in total 8 VM's. We have Veeam agents/proxy in VMs running on both ESXi servers.
We also have a Dell Server with local storage, running Veeam that runs and stores the backups to local storage. The total backup size is around 1.5Tb. The backups stored on the local storage of this backup server are currently taken off-site with simple USB 3.0 drives.

Off-site backup with Veeam

We have a 20Mb connection to our other site which would like to copy the backups to using a backup copy job. I understand from the information on this page:

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... ackup.html

That we can send our backups to our other site using a backup proxy at that end. My intention is to have a physical Windows 2012 server to receive the backups.

My questions

1) Is the above scenario sound or do I need to add anything in terms of licensing etc
2) Is the above feasible without the addition of the enterprise edition for WAN Acceleration?

Any input would be highly appreciated.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Wan Acceleration Required?

Post by foggy »

pauliem wrote:1) Is the above scenario sound or do I need to add anything in terms of licensing etc
Yes, pretty straightforward setup, no additional licensing is required (except point 2) below).
pauliem wrote:2) Is the above feasible without the addition of the enterprise edition for WAN Acceleration?
WAN acceleration should give you considerable improvement as it is specifically designed for links slower than 100 Mbps, allowing up to 50x reduced size of transferred data. However, you can test direct backup copy job mode first and see whether it is capable of transferring the amount of changed data your infrastructure produces.