Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
zhongjun
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: zhongjun

unable to create snapshot

Post by zhongjun »

hi:

Is it right? Veeam is not support this kind of scene:
Perform the same two backup jobs at the same time, In the backup job allocation of two Hyper-V virtual machines, two Hyper-V virtual machines belong to the same disk.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: unable to create snapshot

Post by foggy »

Hi, could you please elaborate on the scenario you are trying to perform and also provide some details on the environment and more information on the particular error?
zhongjun
Influencer
Full Name: zhongjun

Post by zhongjun »

Veeam version is 6.5
In Windows 2012

I created the same two online backup jobs, one of the backup jobs allocation two Hyper-V virtual machines, two Hyper-V virtual machines belong to the same disk.
Perform the same two backup jobs at the same time, Three virtual machine backup successfully, a virtual machine failure.

Error details:
Unable to create snapshot(Hardware Provider)(mode:Crash consistent).Details:Failed to create VSS snapshot set.Another shadow copy creation is already in progress. Wait a few moments and try again.--tr:Failed to perform pre-backup task;

Is it right? Veeam is not support this kind of scene.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

It's not actually Veeam, but rather MS limitation on concurrent snapshots within a given host. Only one snapshot creation operation is possible at any given moment in time.
EdZ
Novice
Full Name: EdZ

Post by EdZ »

I had this same issue after installing patch 3. It had been working just fine prior to the patch with the same settings.

If you remove the host in VEEAM and then add it back so that it reinstalls the integration components, it resolves the issue (or at least did for me).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Patch 3 didn't introduce any changes to this logic, so I would suggest comparing two log files to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Anyway, glad that your issue is resolved and thank you for sharing your solution.