Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: v7 Backup Copy Job removable media (rotated drives)

Post by foggy »

Michael, make sure you've specified the registry keys correctly and open the case with technical support.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The said key should go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication hive; so, it might be worth double checking it first. Thanks.
agoldenlife
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James Golden

Post by agoldenlife » 1 person likes this post

Hmm. Is there anyplace that someone can look to find this process/procedure documented? Looking and reading through 182 posts, is not very efficient or effective use of anyone's time. I looked in the user manuals, and there is nothing in there about rotated media (unless your search is broke). I noticed in the SP3 (build 839) that it says it is fully supported. While it states the registry entry it doesn't state the path or how we are expected to implement such a process.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

James, you just need to create the keys mentioned in the patch release notes under standard Veeam B&R registry hive HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication. This will automatically enable Veeam B&R rotated drives scenario (just start backing up to rotated media, no other actions required).
tim5700
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Veeam Copy Job

Post by tim5700 »

I have been using Robocopy scripts to perform end of month backups. I would like to use a Veeam backup copy to do this instead now. Really all I need is to copy the most recent rollback on the last Saturday of every month to an external drive. Then the drive is rotated out.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Tim,

To do that you need to set 30 days as a "copy every" time interval and use our latest version to enable rotated media scenario via registry keys mentioned in this thread.

Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Additionally, if you want to copy the most recent restore point exactly on last Saturday of the month, then, you can use custom PS script that executes backup copy job, starting synchronization interval anew via "Sync Now" command. The script can be scheduled to run on last Saturday via Windows Scheduler.

As to the script body, it should look like the following:

Code: Select all

$Job = Get-VBRJob -name "Name of backup copy job"
    Sync-VBRBackupCopyJob -Job $Job
Thanks.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Hi guys, I'm setting up for first time a Backup Copy Job to a rotated media. Previously I was using a custom script to format the destination RDX cartridge and copy the latest VBK, but now I would like to try the Backup Copy Job to get a feedback email of completion / failure of the copy

A couple of things are unclear to me: I would like to run the Backup Copy Job only on Sunday night, in order to export the RDX cartridge on Moday morning. I've not understood how to achieve that schedule, the Backup Copy Job only ask me to run every xxx days/hours/minutes

Other question: if the RDX cartridge is missing from drive, how will behave the Backup Copy Job? Will send a failure email or will wait for the media?

Thanks guys

Marco
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

m.novelli wrote:A couple of things are unclear to me: I would like to run the Backup Copy Job only on Sunday night, in order to export the RDX cartridge on Moday morning. I've not understood how to achieve that schedule, the Backup Copy Job only ask me to run every xxx days/hours/minutes
You need to specify the 7 days interval and the time when the interval should start on Sunday and start the backup job on Sunday. The first synchronization interval will be started immediately after you launch the job and will start copying the latest restore point existing at the moment of its start (and will start looking for available restore point each Sunday).
m.novelli wrote:Other question: if the RDX cartridge is missing from drive, how will behave the Backup Copy Job? Will send a failure email or will wait for the media?
It will constantly fail (and send corresponding notifications) until the drive is inserted back into the drive and then start copying data.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner

Post by m.novelli »

Thanks Foggy, I've modified the Backup Copy Job as per your suggestion.
It's seems to me a little confusing this scheduling system, but maybe I need to get used to it

Marco
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner

Post by m.novelli »

Hi guys, how do you set a Backup Copy Job to export different Backup Job to removable media? I mean, in the case that the removable media don't fit all the Backup Jobs together?

I'm facing this case: a customer with 2 TB RDX removable cartridges, and two big VM acting as File Server. I've setup two separates Backup Jobs (one for each VM), should I set up two Backup Copy Jobs to export the VBK in different days of the week?

Any info on how you run the Backup Copy Job would be appreciated, I like it because send a nice notification email when the copy is completed :)

Thanks

Marco
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Marco,

Yes, if you cannot fit both backups of the VM into the same removable media, then configuring two separate backup copy job should be a way to go. Do you mount these cartridges to the same repository?

Thanks!
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner

Post by m.novelli »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Marco,

Yes, if you cannot fit both backups of the VM into the same removable media, then configuring two separate backup copy job should be a way to go. Do you mount these cartridges to the same repository?

Thanks!
Yes Vitaliy, I've created a single repository for the RDX drive, is that correct?
I suppose to create a Backup Copy Job on Monday for the first File Server and a Backup Copy Job on Tuesday for the second VM, is that the best way to go? I have none experience with that new feature of Veeam Backup

Previously I was using a post-custom script to format the RDX cartridge and copy the latest VBK. With Backup Copy Job I can get a nice email of success/fail, but I'm finding a little bit confusing the schedulation. Would be nice a scheduling option "run the Backup Copy Job after success Backup Job XXX"

Ciao,

Marco
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I suppose to create a Backup Copy Job on Monday for the first File Server and a Backup Copy Job on Tuesday for the second VM, is that the best way to go?
Yes, this scenario should work. In order to be on the safe side, you can set "copy every" interval to one week and, using backup window, explicitly prohibit backup jobs' execution on the days other than Monday (1st bc job) and Tuesday (2nd bc job). Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

m.novelli wrote:Would be nice a scheduling option "run the Backup Copy Job after success Backup Job XXX"
Actually once the new restore point is available that fits your synchronization interval, it will be copied automatically, so you should not bother about job scheduling at all.
karsayor
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Philippe Marro

Post by karsayor »

Hi there,

Is the patch now included in latest version (7.0.0.871) ? I cannot download it. Do we stil have to enter the registry keys ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Philippe, not sure I understand your question. Patch 4 is available for download and can be installed on Veeam B&R installation with any patch level (either basic or with patch 1/2/3 installed). Yes, registry keys should be used to enable rotated drives scenario.
karsayor
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Philippe Marro

Post by karsayor »

Hi,

In this post Anton Gostev mentionned we have to download a beta patch. I couldn't find in release notes whether it's now included in latest Patch 4 or not, that's why I ask this :)

I will then install the patch and enable this with registry keys. Thanks !
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

These changes were first introduced in patch 3 and are also included in the subsequent patch 4, as Veeam B&R patches are always cumulative.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Time to lock this topic down now that we have added full support for removable media.
In v8, we are planning to move the corresponding settings from the registry into the UI.

Mods, please do not merge any more topics into this one, as it is getting out of hand.