Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
waya01
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Way

Error browsing backups

Post by waya01 »

Hi,

When try to Restore Individual Guest Files, one of my backups has the following error message:

d:\ mount failed
The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

I have tried multiple backups of this server with different compression settings, etc. But no luck. The d:\ drive is a Windows dynamic volume formatted in NTFS. I have another server running with a dynamic volume, but has no problems. There are no errors during the backup. I am running version 4.1.

Please help!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Error browsing backups

Post by Gostev »

Andrew, this is documented in the Known Issues section of the Release Notes document, dynamic disks are not supported by built-in file level restore. Multi-OS file level restore however does support those starting from v4.

On a related note, why are you using dynamic disks for your VMs? What are the benefits?
waya01
Influencer
Full Name: Andrew Way

Post by waya01 »

Hi,

Ah ok, it reads the dynamic disks on my other servers, just not on this one. Maybe because this one is over 100GB?

They were used on the server before I used VMWare converter to convert it. Although we do use them as you can expand/extend the disks in windows as extra space is required.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

It is not the disk size that matters here - it depends on specific dynamic disks configuration, yes certain will work, but other will not. Full LDM support is only available with multi-OS FLR wizard. You can keep using built-in FLR if it works for most of your system, and for those which it fails, you could use multi-OS FLR.
dexterstu
Novice
Full Name: Stuart Rainsford

Post by dexterstu »

Gostev, can I just get clarification on this issue? We too have a data drive on our file server that is dynamic. When trying to restore a file, I am presented with the same error message.

What is the process for restoring files when this is encountered?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Stuart,

To be able to do a FLR restore from a dynamic disk you should be using Restore Wizard, which can be found at Tools->File Level Restore Wizard. Please note that you should install VMware Player 2.5 before starting the wizard