Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Shralok
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Shralok

Backup proxy recommendations

Post by Shralok »

I am in need of setting up a proxy in order to do my Veeam Backup jobs at one site and then use WAN Acceleration to run Backup Copy jobs to send these backups to our main location where the "main" Veeam server is located.

Environment details @ Off-Site Office:
Hyper-V Failover Cluster 2012 R2
EMC SAN connected via iSCSI
~5 TB of VMs to be backed up

Environment details @ Main Location:
Hyper-V Failover Cluster 2012 R2
NetApp SAN connected via iSCSI
Physical Veeam server HP DL380 with 10 TB local disk storage

We have a 100 MB Internet circuit between the two sites and a site-to-site VPN configured

I would like to have a few days of backups at the off-site office, possibly 1 week. Then on the weekend have my Backup Copy jobs copy the backups over to the physical Veeam server at Main Location where they will stay for longer.

The problem right now is that there is too much network instability to run a backup from Main Location when backing up a server at Off-Site Office. Jobs keep failing due to network reasons.

So I figured on this config for Off-Site Office and wanted to ask on these forums:
Physical server running 2012 R2 Standard and Veeam installed.
Configured as a WAN Accelerator.
Runs all Backup jobs for this office, plus runs Backup Copy jobs to send to Main Location.

I read through this thread (http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-re ... 21304.html) but do not have any old servers lying around (that are not 6+ years old and I would not trust or are too slow). I do have one server that is running some things that I could re-use after reformatting with Server 2012 R2 so I thought about this setup and wanted some feedback:

Physical Specs:
Dell PowerEdge R410 running Server 2012 R2 (Intel E-5620, 12 GM RAM)
Synology DiskStation 4-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS412+ (Black)
WD Red 2 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EFRX (Qty: 4)
Configure the Synology NAS with Storage Spaces as my local repository to back up on.

My only real indecision (unless something is wrong with what I have laid out here) is whether I should see about replacing disks in the R410 and building my storage there instead of using a Synology.

Is this more or less a recommended setup? Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup proxy recommendations

Post by foggy »

Yes, setup looks good. I would just note that you can implement this using Veeam B&R instance in your main location, no need to set up an additional offsite Veeam B&R. Adding that remote physical server as WAN accelerator and repository would still allow to keep initial backups locally and then use copy jobs to send them back to the main site. Could be easier from the management point of view.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then on the weekend have my Backup Copy jobs copy the backups over to the physical Veeam server at Main Location where they will stay for longer.
Additionally, be aware that with backup copy job running on weekly basis, there will be only one restore point created in the main site, not the whole weekly-worth backup chain. Thanks.
Shralok
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Shralok

Post by Shralok »

Thank you both for your input.

To follow up to your replies...

foggy, do you mean I can schedule the jobs on the Main B&R instance and just tell it to use the other repository, or do I tell it to use this physical box as a proxy instead of the Hyper-V host (or does the proxy not matter)? Is the network failure in my current setup failing because of passing the data over the VPN, and this would be resolved by having a repository at Off-Site Office?

v.Eremin, do you suggest running nightly Backup Copy? I will have to see if I have the space for this. We want to increase our retention period so I may have to play with this based on our current storage (which we cannot add to for some time).

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Shralok wrote:foggy, do you mean I can schedule the jobs on the Main B&R instance and just tell it to use the other repository, or do I tell it to use this physical box as a proxy instead of the Hyper-V host (or does the proxy not matter)? Is the network failure in my current setup failing because of passing the data over the VPN, and this would be resolved by having a repository at Off-Site Office?
Yes, you can just set up corresponding backup jobs and point them to the repository located in the remote site. Your Hyper-V host will play the proxy role in this scenario. Then, backup copy jobs that provide resume functionality and can survive temporarily network drops, will copy backups to the main location.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Do you suggest running nightly Backup Copy? I will have to see if I have the space for this. We want to increase our retention period so I may have to play with this based on our current storage (which we cannot add to for some time).
It depends on your needs and desires. If you're after creating additional copy of backup data on daily basis, then, setting daily "copy interval" sounds like a good idea. Otherwise, set "copy interval" to one week and be content with weekly restore point.

Thanks.