Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
choldings
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Colin

Windows Account Permissions Required to Run?

Post by choldings »

What permissions are required to run the Veeam Backup & Replication application?

I have read that local administrator is required to install veeam but I don't see a mention of what permissions are required to run it.

The database is hosted on a separate SQL server, does the account running the application need db_owner rights over the database just to run the application with the view only role?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Windows Account Permissions Required to Run?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Colin,

Veeam service should be running under local admin account and this account should have read/write and execute SQL procedures permissions on its database. I believe db_owner will work as well.

Thanks!
choldings
Enthusiast

Post by choldings »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Colin,

Veeam service should be running under local admin account and this account should have read/write and execute SQL procedures permissions on its database. I believe db_owner will work as well.

Thanks!
When you say the Veeam service, I am thinking of a Windows service running in the background. Are you referring to a Windows service?

I simply want to be able to give view only rights to the Veeam Backup & Replication application for someone to look over the backup job logs etc... without granting them full administrative rights over the server or the database.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I'm referring to Windows service. If you want to give read-only access without giving right to change jobs and other parameters, I would suggest considering Veeam ONE as a monitoring and reporting tool for your backup infrastructure.
choldings
Enthusiast

Post by choldings »

Ok. That would be fine except that they need to review what was written to tape as well. The only way I'm aware of to view the contents of a tape is directly through the application.

For example, if they get two e-mails, one stating that the backup to disk job completed and transferred 10GB and the other from the tape job saying that 0.0KB was transferred to tape.. there appears to be a problem but they can't look to see what was actually written to tape for verification and further troubleshooting.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There is a report that shows which VMs are located on Tapes, so no need to use B&R console ;) but your use case makes sense too.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally, this script might be useful for you, as it provides information in regards to tape job session, tapes used during the said operations, etc. Thanks.