mohammada
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mohammad Alam

Lost Shcedule info

Post by mohammada »

Hi Guys
Got some problem ...
I do have some Backup and Replication job running in the Veeam . As recently our Virtual centre IP has been changed I have to remove that and add our new Virtual Centre address . All the VM remains same .. But I have lost all the backup and replication Job info . I am sure the data is still there . Any way to bring my job and shedule back ?

Mohammad
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Lost Shcedule info

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mohammad,

Actually, when you remove your ESX/vCenter nodes from Veeam Backup and Replication console, indeed all your jobs as well as backups and replicas are also removed from the console. I believe there is a popup message box saying this. However, if you check your destination storage for your backups and target ESX/ESXi hosts for your replicas you'll see that nothing was removed, you can import your backups (VBK files) back to Veeam console and perform any restore operation to any restore point if needed, as for replicas, you will be able to start them manually using vSphere Client (VIC).
For your schedules and job configurations, If you choose the Remove Servers option, all configurations that have references to the ESX host or VirtualCenter server being removed will be deleted from the configuration SQL database and the Veeam Backup & Replication console, so you should configure them once again using newly added vCenter.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

I would also recommend to add vCenter with DNS name, instead of IP address, to avoid the same issue in future, if you have to change the vCenter IP address again.
mohammada
Influencer

Post by mohammada »

Thanks Vitaly
I am now able to have my Backup from Import Backup option of Console .
Regarding Replica I can see those in VI client .
Now when I am creating a new job schedule using the new VC I can see it is coming to data store as folder . Is that mean it will create new replication and restore points ?
For example ... For one of my server rhel24 it was in DR datastore as /VeeamBackup/aurhel34(vm-199)
Now with new schedule it is creating another folder in the datastore as /VeeamBackup/aurhel34(vm-45) . So basically with my understanding it is starting all over again .

Any idea ?

Thanks once again for your help and also How we can get rid of this problem in future ? using DNS instead of IP ?

Mohammad
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Mohammad, looks like you did more with your vCenter other than simply changing the IP address, as your VMs' unique IDs seem to have been re-generated by the vCenter. They are also much smaller now (45 vs. 199), did you may be reinstall your vCenter server? Or have you may be removed and re-added your ESX hosts to the existing vCenter?

Unfortunately, you have to redo all replications from scratch now.

I have already answered your last question above, yes DNS name is definitely way to go, as IP addresses tend to change quite often :D
mohammada
Influencer

Post by mohammada »

Hi Gostev
yes u r right .. This VC was a brand new installation and I have to add the ESX hosts ..
Understand the problem now ..

So in future .. though we will use DNS but if VC is new and ESX is freshly added , we will still have the same problem ?
Many thanks for ur reply .
Mohammad
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Correct. Before reinstalling your vCenter, you can backup your existing vCenter configuration database, and then restore it to the new vCenter installation. Doing this would preserve all your infrastructure settings, including unique IDs of your VMs.
mohammada
Influencer

Post by mohammada »

Thanks Guys for your help .
Mohamamd