Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Icomefromfrance
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mine Mine

Change vss provider veeam Backup

Post by Icomefromfrance »

How do I change this to use the microsoft VSS provider instead of the physical hardware? I remember having to do this before to fix this error:

Unable to create snapshot (Dell EqualLogic VSS HW Provider) (mode: Crash consistent). Details: Failed to add volume [\\?\Volume{85a78356-07eb-11e2-8312-a0369f090b67}\] to the VSS snapshot set The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information. --tr:Failed to add volumes to the snapshot set. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
Task has been rescheduled (Failed to add volume [\\?\Volume{85a78356-07eb-11e2-8312-a0369f090b67}\] to the VSS snapshot set The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information. --tr:Failed to add volumes to the snapshot set. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Change vss provider veeam Backup

Post by foggy »

You can select the VSS provider to be used for the particular volume by right-clicking the required server under Backup Infrastructure and selecting Manage Volumes.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In the meantime, it still stands to reason to understand the root cause of hardware provider failure. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Make sure you are using the latest VSS provider version from your storage vendor, usually it helps to resolve these issues.
chrismaddocks
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Christopher Maddocks

Post by chrismaddocks »

When you changed the VSS provider from Dell EqualLogic VSS HW to Microsoft CSV VSS, was you able to backup correctly? I have got the same issue and seen some of the Veeam engineers post on this thread to change the HW VSS to SF VSS.

Regards,

Chris.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Christopher, I recommend contacting technical support directly so they could take a look at your environment and define the reasons of the initial error.