Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

restore one disk

Post by jamerson »

hij guys
i have a VM with two Partition ( two separated Disks ) C and D
i want to restore the VM to previously time just C and not affecting D,
is this possible ?

i am using Veeam back up and replication V 7

Thank yu
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: resotre one disk

Post by veremin »

The said partitions are located on two different virtual disks, right? If so, you can go to the Backups node -> Disk -> Select required backup -> Restore VM hard disks. Is that you're looking for?

Thanks.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

v.Eremin wrote:The said partitions are located on two different virtual disks, right? If so, you can go to the Backups node -> Disk -> Select required backup -> Restore VM hard disks. Is that you're looking for?

Thanks.
Thank you,
yes both disk are seperated from each others on a different Data Stores.
however when i chose restore VM hard Disks is not showing me which disk to select. it will just process the restore !
are you saying when i chose Restore VM Hard Disks it will restore just OS disk ?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The virtual disks should be listed in the corresponding tab of disk restore wizard ("Disk Mapping"). There you can tick what disks need to be restored. Such procedure will replaced existing virtual disk with the one it used to be at the time of backup.

Otherwise, you can instantly recover VM, not powering it on, then, mount the required VMDK into original VM, mount desired partition and copy the content out of it. Before mounting restored disk directly to VM, you will have to set its new UID, using the following command:

Code: Select all

vmkfstools -J setuuid /vmfs/volumes/datastore/VM/vm.vmdk
Thanks.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

v.Eremin wrote:The virtual disks should be listed in the corresponding tab of disk restore wizard ("Disk Mapping"). There you can tick what disks need to be restored. Such procedure will replaced existing virtual disk with the one it used to be at the time of backup.

Otherwise, you can instantly recover VM, not powering it on, then, mount the required VMDK into original VM, mount desired partition and copy the content out of it. Before mounting restored disk directly to VM, you will have to set its new UID, using the following command:

Code: Select all

vmkfstools -J setuuid /vmfs/volumes/datastore/VM/vm.vmdk
Thanks.
while chosing restore VM Disks i see one disk not the OS one !

as mentioned on the below pic the Domain controller has two Disks each one is on a different Data store
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Are there any disk exclusions specified in the job settings? Is the said partition visible via Windows FLR or Instant VM Recovery? Thanks.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

v.Eremin wrote:Are there any disk exclusions specified in the job settings? Is the said partition visible via Windows FLR or Instant VM Recovery? Thanks.
Dear Eremin,
there are no exclusion, the Back up job is to back up the entier VM !
veremin
Product Manager

Re: restore one disk

Post by veremin »

Then, the described behavior doesn't look expected. So, feel free to open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly. Thanks.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

v.Eremin wrote:Then, the described behavior doesn't look expected. So, feel free to open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly. Thanks.
i ended up restoring the whole VM,

thank you
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If this issue shows up again in the future, please, open a ticket with the support team, as it will allow us to understand the root cause better and/or find potential bug, etc. Thanks.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

v.Eremin wrote:If this issue shows up again in the future, please, open a ticket with the support team, as it will allow us to understand the root cause better and/or find potential bug, etc. Thanks.
thank you Eremin,
I believe the infrastructuur wasn't configured properly that why I wasn't able to see both disk,
in the mean while I am busy working on a new configuration.

Thank you for your support !
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Don't hesitate to let us know, if you need additional clarification.