Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marcosoft
Novice
Liked: 1 time

TrendMicro AV exlusions for Veeam Backup & Replication

Post by marcosoft » 1 person likes this post

Hi everybody,

I'm an enthusiast user of Veeam 6 and now 6.5. I would like to know if there is any suggested advice in order to succesfully operate with Veeam and any antivirus Agent. I have Veeam installed on a Win2008 R2 X64 Standard and I have TrendMicro Worry Free Business Security 8 Agent installed on it

Sometimes I experience some trouble with Veeam during full synthetic backup on a network share, with Veeam freezing and stop responding during creation of full synthetic file, until killing all Veeam processes and stopping the services. I think it is an interference of AV agent...surely without AV agent installed the performance of Veeam are extremely better, 2-3 times faster!!!!

So my question is: are there suggested paths/file extensions of veeam to exclude from realtime scanning? Instead, the solution of avoid installing the AV on the server in which Veeam is installed is a good solution? (in my case the server is used only for hosting Veeam Software and used for backup purposes, so no user except administrators and no internet navigation)

It is right to exclude following path?
- Backup repository
- C:\Program Files\Veeam
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam
- C:\VBRCatalog
- C:\VeeamFLR

and following etensions)
- .vbm
- .vrb
- .vbk
- .vib
- .vmdk
- .vmem

Thanks for any suggestion
Marcosoft
IT Manager
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: TrendMicro AV exlusions for Veeam Backup & Replication

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

HI,
we do not have an official best practice, but as a general rule any AV operation should be disabled on any Veeam components if they interfere with backup and replication activities. Your list seems pretty comprehensive, maybe some of my colleagues can jump in and confirm it. This could indeed be included in a new KB article.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
marcosoft
Novice

Post by marcosoft »

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I agree with you. I see a previous similar post in which you suggest also to avoid AV on the server in which Veeam is installed, because there are many points involved (cache, ram, datamovers, ecc) and the AV is deeply joined on the OS (as a filter on the file system and on the NICS, so maybe is not always sufficient to exclude paths or files)....I am thinking to completely uninstall the AV on the server

I'm waiting for other opinions and/or suggestion, thanks in advance

Marco
Marcosoft
IT Manager
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

As I wrote in the other thread, basically it's up to your business needs. If there is no requirement for AV on each server, the best choice is to avoid any possible problem and do not install any AV at all. If you need to, install it and set every exclusion that can have an impact on Veeam operations.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
marcosoft
Novice

Post by marcosoft »

Ok, thank you, I understand what you mean. I agree with u

Thanks a lot for your help

Marco
Marcosoft
IT Manager
michele.salvini
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by michele.salvini »

Hi all
Luca, do you know if has been created a new KB article about recommended antivirus setting/exclusions?
We are wondering about same settings, in particular with antivirus agent (Sophos) that has to be installed on proxy servers.

Thanks!
Michele
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Michele,

I cannot find any update in the KB list, so previous recommendation is still the same - add all Veeam process/services to the exclusion list.

Thanks!