Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
martymidwest
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marty O'Brien

Move backups from one copy job to another

Post by martymidwest »

Hello,

We've re-structured our backup processes and we are now processing daily and weekly backups based on the server. So, I created a new backup job for the weeklies. That said, it there a way to "move" our existing backups from the old job to the new one, or do we just have to keep the "old" backups until they expire (not too far off for our local backups, but for our backup copy job, a bit longer).

I guess the bigger reason for this would be so that we don't need 2 "full backups" (one for the "old" dailies and one for the "new" weeklies).

So, is it possible?

Thanks,

--martymidwest
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Move backups from one copy job to another

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Marty,

Yes, that's possible. If you're using the same repository, then just map your new job to existing backup files chain. If not, then you should copy existing backup files to the new repository, hit a rescan button on the repository server to populate backup console with these backups and then map your weekly jobs to these files.

Here you go the on-line help center for more info:
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... repository
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... g%2Bbackup

Hope this helps!
martymidwest
Influencer

Post by martymidwest »

Thanks for the links!

After looking at them, I actually son't think I need to do *anything*. Since the 2 jobs are pointing at the same repository, the existing VMs that used to be weekly will just keep the existing backups and only start backing up weekly incrementally.

Please let me know if that is not correct.

If I do need to actually *move* something, do I need to move the whole repository, then have it scan it and them *remove* the VMs that I only want in the dailies, and, likewise, remove the weekly VMs from the existing "daily" repo?

Thanks,

--martymidwest
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Two backup jobs cannot point to the same backup chain. If you target them to the same repository, you will have two backup files chains created. You need to use mapping feature to re-use the backup chain with the new job.

Moving files is only required when you change a physical location of your repository. If you have only one repository, then this is not needed.
martymidwest
Influencer

Post by martymidwest »

But will that make the "old" job stop functioning?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, two jobs cannot share the same files. If you don't want to do that, then keep two jobs running and wait till retention policy removes old backup files.