Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

CBT error after moving VMs.

Post by zoltank »

A VM host failed over the weekend, and I had to manually add the VMs which were on it to another's host's inventory. When asked if I copied or moved the VM, I said I had moved the VM.

When Veeam runs backups it's giving me a CBT error on the VMs which were moved: 4/21/2014 6:34:31 PM :: Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. Error caused by file /vmfs/volumes/4e5ce1b3-ec694bc2-500f-001517f303dd/License/License.vmdkDetail: '', endpoint: ''

After giving the error it reads the entire VM during backup. If I then run backup again it no longer gives the CBT error and everything seems to run correctly.

I've opened a case with Veeam: 00553690.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: CBT error after moving VMs.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Are these VMs part of the cluster or these are standalone hosts? Seems like VMware CBT cannot return valid CBT data after moving/re-registering VMs in the VI, which explains why you saw this message on the initial job run after migration.
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Post by zoltank »

They were part of a cluster. When I added the VMs to the other host's inventory, I simply browsed to the VM's location on the SAN, right clicked the VMX file, and selected to add to inventory.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As mentioned, it seems that re-registering VM on a new host broke CBT for some reasons. As the result, the whole VM was read during backup activity. So, I'm not sure whether we can help you in this case, as we get CBT information from vSphere.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

When you register VM in the inventory it is treated as a new one (due to moref ID change), so VM metadata cannot be applied to the previous backup data.