Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cmbezln
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: chris

question about veeam capabilities

Post by cmbezln »

Now that Veeam does Tape, we're looking into it as a possible replacement for BE2012. Does anyone know if it has the following:

-ability to recognize and backup SQL server instances
-ability to recognize and backup exchange DB instances
-Work with MSCS clusters

Just trying to gauge what kind of functionality I'd be giving up going from BE to Veeam.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: question about veeam capabilities

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Chris,

Currently Veeam B&R does VM image backups only, so it backs up SQL Server and Exchange DB instances on image level as a part of the regular backup job. However, we are able to provide granular recovery from these backups, despite they are image level.

As regards MSCS Clusters support, then as far as I correctly recall it, it is not possible to snapshot these kind of VMs, so VM-image backups are not possible.

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

To add to that, we do "recognize" Exchange and SQL instances, and apply application-specific processing logic when backing up such VMs on image level. There are some more details on this process available in the sticky FAQ topic.
cmbezln
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: chris

Post by cmbezln »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Chris,

Currently Veeam B&R does VM image backups only, so it backs up SQL Server and Exchange DB instances on image level as a part of the regular backup job. However, we are able to provide granular recovery from these backups, despite they are image level.

As regards MSCS Clusters support, then as far as I correctly recall it, it is not possible to snapshot these kind of VMs, so VM-image backups are not possible.

Thank you!
Ah okay, I see. It is still possible with v7+ to backup physical servers, correct? We've been waiting for physical server and tape backup, which I've been told is available on newer versions of Veeam B&R
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Veeam can put your backups to tape but we don't do physical backups. We focus on virtual infrastructures running on VMware and Hyper-V.

It is however possible to add a physical server in the Veeam interface and use file to tape directly but you can't backup a phyiscal server in the way we can backup a virtual server.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen