Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
dward160
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Donal Ward

Restoring virtual machine in Azure

Post by dward160 »

Hi,

I've seen a post somewhere about restoring a VM to AWS which looked pretty convoluted.
I imagine that the minimum requirement would be to stand up a Veeam B&R server in Azure with access to a backup repository (these backups presumably created by Veeam Cloud Edition).
Would there be a way of restoring an entire VM ?

What I'm thinking here is that it could represent a low cost DR solution, obviously a lot more work involved setting up the environment to work in practice but in theory if we could restore a VM we should be able to add the other necessary components to get it to work.

Any ideas ?

D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restoring virtual machine in Azure

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,
dward160 wrote:I imagine that the minimum requirement would be to stand up a Veeam B&R server in Azure with access to a backup repository (these backups presumably created by Veeam Cloud Edition).
Would there be a way of restoring an entire VM ?
Yes, your backup server should have access to that repository, but also if you want to restore directly to Azure you would have to register Hyper-V hosts within the backup server in order to trigger a restore procedure.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Veeam B&R does not support restoring a VM directly to Azure. This is simply impossible, because you cannot get access to Hyper-V hosts behind Azure to register those with Veeam B&R.
dward160
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Donal Ward

Post by dward160 »

Would it be possible to somehow reconstruct the VHD files and then import these into Azure ?
I know that it wouldn't be possible to register with Hyper-V hosts directly, just wondering if any other means of restoring a VM.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Sure, you can use Veeam to "Restore VM Files" to extract the VHD files themselves from the Veeam Backup (there is also a command line extract.exe and a small GUI Extract utility to do this as well), and once you have the VM files they can be imported into Azure using any of the normal Azure import processes.
mbakerr1i
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael Baker

Post by mbakerr1i » 2 people like this post

It is possible although it is very nasty! And requires alot of effort, AWS can be fully automated if you know what your doing there as for Azure here is a very high level overview of what I done last time

The only issue I had is the machine needs to be Sysprep prior to the import and it can only be in vhd(In other words legacy format)they have to be converted to VHD prior. When I done it with a legacy VM it was pretty much

Start-VBRRestoreVMFiles

(Load the Azure powershell modules up)
Add-AzureVHD –Destination https://zure…/images/imported/import.vhd – LocalFilePath C:\VeeamFLR\import.vhd

Login to Azure (I haven’t been able to automate this piece)
Add the image to Azure to be used for future VM’s

Deploy the image (This is all painful as its in the Azure GUI) I am trying to work out the powershell commands when I get time
If it doesn't work out of the box it doesn't mean its not possible ;)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It seems there is a way to connect PS instance to your Azure subscription. Once initial steps are done, you won't have to go over them again. Is this what you're after? Thanks.
mbakerr1i
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael Baker

Post by mbakerr1i »

Heh I know that bit but the deploy part is the painful bit what I posted was an email I sent to someone who works at Veeam several months ago thought it may be useful for others
If it doesn't work out of the box it doesn't mean its not possible ;)