Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
akselc
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Aksel Celasun

Newbie! Remote backup over WAN

Post by akselc »

Hello

Currently trying veeam, installed it on a virtual server, repo server is a storage server, and a Hyper-V host as currently Proxy.
Backup And replication v7, and trying Enteprise manager now.
We want to test if we can backup files on our customers server, which is at the customers location, that is, they are not in our domain, not in our network at all.
Is it possible to install a agent or similar on a server anywhere, define files and so on, and manage these servers in the Management tool?
If so, what are the possibilities regarding what we can back up, just FileCopy or entire VM's`?

How do i approach this?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards

Aksel
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Newbie! Remote backup over WAN

Post by foggy »

Aksel, I'm not sure I fully understand the setup, what kind of server you're going to backup files from? If you're talking about copying files from some remote server you do not have network access to, than I don't think it's possible, since you need network connection for that. Also, please be aware that file copy job is not incremental, so cannot be considered as a true backup solution.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Assuming that I got your idea correctly, you can implement VPM connection to the customer site, register its infrastructure in your backup server, and use either File Copy or backup job to achieve your backup goals. Thanks.
akselc
Novice

Post by akselc »

foggy wrote:Aksel, I'm not sure I fully understand the setup, what kind of server you're going to backup files from? If you're talking about copying files from some remote server you do not have network access to, than I don't think it's possible, since you need network connection for that. Also, please be aware that file copy job is not incremental, so cannot be considered as a true backup solution.
Hi foggy, thanks for answering.
I was thinking about Ahsay-like backuping remote servers, yes they are online, and we have control over the firewalls and so on.
And we are thinking of using our Veeam server as a "cloud"/remote storage provider for some of our customers.
Servers are basically, sql/Exchange/files etc. As a extra service for our customers, and maybe as primary backup method, is it possible to install an agent in any way, direct the agent to our public ip/dns,
and backup our customers server?

Thanks,

Aksel
akselc
Novice

Post by akselc »

v.Eremin wrote:Assuming that I got your idea correctly, you can implement VPM connection to the customer site, register its infrastructure in your backup server, and use either File Copy or backup job to achieve your backup goals. Thanks.
Hi, Eremin,

You mean VPN?
I have thought of that, but some of our customers internet lines are "slow", and VPN makes it even slower, i wish there could be a Ahsay-like installation, see the post above.
Is there anything like that?

Thanks
Aksel
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, that's what I meant. I'm not familiar with the said solution, but, as Alexander's mentioned, with VB&R you need to have network connectivity to the customer environment in order to register it in the backup console and backup customers' VMs. The on-host (customer's host) would also need to communicate to the repository deployed at your side.

Thanks.
akselc
Novice

Post by akselc »

v.Eremin wrote:Yep, that's what I meant. I'm not familiar with the said solution, but, as Alexander's mentioned, with VB&R you need to have network connectivity to the customer environment in order to register it in the backup console and backup customers' VMs. The on-host (customer's host) would also need to communicate to the repository deployed at your side.

Thanks.

Ok! Thanks for teh reply.
So if i understand correct, the only way to backup remote areas, is to implement some sort of permanent VPN connection to the customers, and do backup via VPN tunnel.
Darn =(...

Regards

Aksel
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

akselc wrote:I have thought of that, but some of our customers internet lines are "slow", and VPN makes it even slower, i wish there could be a Ahsay-like installation, see the post above.
Is there anything like that?
Veeam B&R is basically an image-based solution and it does not have any agents in the sense this tool installs them.
akselc wrote:So if i understand correct, the only way to backup remote areas, is to implement some sort of permanent VPN connection to the customers, and do backup via VPN tunnel.
Yes, this is the recommended way to do remote backups.