Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Clamped_IT
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Baker

New SAN and need to move datastores

Post by Clamped_IT »

We are replacing a Dell MD3000i with a VNX5200. I will need to move several critical VM's from the MD3000i to the new VNX. I have read that the Free edition can do the quick migrate, and was planning this as one method to move the VM's to the new datastores. Here are my questions:

How much trouble is it to point Veem to leave the VM on the same host but just move the vm to a new datastore?
I have some critical applications on these VM's (Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint, Cognos, DC's). Can quick Migrate be used on a powered off VM? Would that be a better approach for a critical VM?

I have read the guide for the most recent version of VEEM, and plan to setup a quickie VM to test the Quick Migrate functionality once both Storage units are available. I have had bad experiances in the recent past with trying to use VMWare's VM Converter, and was hoping I could use VEEM as a better alternative.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: New SAN and need to move datastores

Post by foggy »

Clamped_IT wrote:How much trouble is it to point Veem to leave the VM on the same host but just move the vm to a new datastore?
No troubles actually with just changing the VM datastore.
Clamped_IT wrote:Can quick Migrate be used on a powered off VM?
Yes.
Clamped_IT wrote:Would that be a better approach for a critical VM?
Yes, just to be on the safe side (Quick Migration does not use VSS).