Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BlakeThornton
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Blake THornton

Legacy job / cleaning up archive restore points

Post by BlakeThornton »

I was doing some cleanup and replaced 3 different jobs with one job and properly used a copy job to implement GFS.

But now that I'm no longer running the old jobs I need to clean up the old restore points as the new copy job makes new ones (prune the 13th monthly etc).

I see where I can just delete the file from the hard drive, but I don't want VEEAM to go bonkers thinking something should be where it's not.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Legacy job / cleaning up archive restore points

Post by foggy »

Blake, if you are talking about cleaning up those restore points from Veeam B&R database, then both Remove from disk and Remove from backups command do this. Remove from disk command additionally deletes corresponding files from the repository (physically).
BlakeThornton
Novice

Post by BlakeThornton »

But is it possible to delete only a specific restore point (the oldest)?

As the months go on, I figured I'd have to manually prune the oldest files that would have been aged off if the job were still being run, but since it's not they just sit there.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

But is it possible to delete only a specific restore point (the oldest)?
You should specify shorter retention policy and let it do its work. The manual intervention would result in VB&R confusion - it would think the given restore point is still present, when it's not. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

While you can delete just a single oldest restore point from disk manually, it will still be shown in the UI until removed by retention. However, in the use case you're describing you will most likely want to remove the entire chain of the old job that is not running for some long time (you're talking months), so those have already fallen out of retention. The mentioned commands is what you need in this case.
BlakeThornton
Novice

Post by BlakeThornton »

Sorry if I'm being thick headed, but since I don't want to run the jobs any more (because other jobs are now doing the work that these jobs were doing), I should just delete the files from the disk, and then when the entire job is aged off delete it from the GUI ? (which will result in some errors about files not found, but also clean up the DB)?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you do not need the files, you can just use the 'Remove from disk' command, it will perform both DB and files cleanup for corresponding backup job. You can also delete the job itself.