Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Downgrading to SQL express

Post by masonit »

Hi

We have 2 Veeam backup servers (7.0.0.839) with one using MS sql 2005 and the other ms sql 2008 r2. I thought the database would be bigger than they are. But I realize now that it is enough using SQL express.
I plan now to uninstall ms sql server on both servers (win 2008 r2, win 2012 r2) and install ms sql 2012 express. Steps are:

Stop Veeam
Backup Veeam db using SQL management
Uninstall sql server
Install sql express with same instance name as before
restore Veeam db using SQL management
Verify security rights
Start Veeam

Would this work? Am I missing something?

\Masonit
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Downgrading to SQL express

Post by foggy »

Magnus, I would rather use configuration backup functionality for that. Backup configurations of both Veeam B&R instances, then reinstall both pointing them to the new SQL server, and restore configurations back.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

...or use this topic that has instructions on how to do that > SQL DB Migration
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

foggy wrote:Magnus, I would rather use configuration backup functionality for that. Backup configurations of both Veeam B&R instances, then reinstall both pointing them to the new SQL server, and restore configurations back.
Is there a special reason why I should reinstall Vbr? I am not changing any servers.. I am just downgrading to sql express. If I install sql express with same instance name and same database name as before. Then all existing registry keys that points to the sql server would still work? What would configuration backup cover that a normal db backup wouldn't?

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

Vitaliy S. wrote:...or use this topic that has instructions on how to do that > SQL DB Migration
Thanks! I did some research first but most threads is about changing sql server to a new one. Thats not the case for me. In theory my change should be quite simple but just want to verify.

\Masonit
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

masonit wrote:Is there a special reason why I should reinstall Vbr? I am not changing any servers.. I am just downgrading to sql express. If I install sql express with same instance name and same database name as before. Then all existing registry keys that points to the sql server would still work? What would configuration backup cover that a normal db backup wouldn't?
No particular reasons, I've mentioned it since this way just seems easier for those who are not familiar with SQL enough - installing Veeam B&R is the matter of just a few minutes. Your procedure should also work.