Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
aeccles
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Looking to improve my restore rates- a couple of questions

Post by aeccles »

I've been doing some restore testing and I would like to improve the restore rates if possible.

#1 ) If I enable "Decompress backup data blocks before storing" on my target repository, will this typically improve the restore rate?

#2 ) Assuming the hardware I backup from and restore to is identical, should my restore rates be similar to my backup rates? Currently, my restore rate is about 30% slower than my backup rate. The hardware is a little different so I'm wondering if this is primarily a result of the difference in hardware or the additional load required to work with incrementals

#3) Is there anyway to get the "load" information on restore jobs? I'd like to see the Source / Proxy / Network / Target values to see if anything stands out.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Looking to improve my restore rates- a couple of questio

Post by foggy »

aeccles wrote:#1 ) If I enable "Decompress backup data blocks before storing" on my target repository, will this typically improve the restore rate?
With this option enabled, Veeam B&R will not have to perform decompression of backup files on restore, however this operation will be performed during backup. You can disable compression completely, though (keeping space/bandwidth issues in mind).
aeccles wrote:#2 ) Assuming the hardware I backup from and restore to is identical, should my restore rates be similar to my backup rates? Currently, my restore rate is about 30% slower than my backup rate. The hardware is a little different so I'm wondering if this is primarily a result of the difference in hardware or the additional load required to work with incrementals
I would not compare backup and restore times in general, there are too many factors that make this comparison more like an "apples to oranges" one (different amount of read/write operations required, data transfer is performed via different protocols/interfaces, VSS freeze, etc.).

Btw, could you please describe your setup in a bit more details? Source/target/proxies, transport modes used for backup and restore tasks? Probably we could give you a couple of advises on how to improve your restore times.
aeccles wrote:#3) Is there anyway to get the "load" information on restore jobs? I'd like to see the Source / Proxy / Network / Target values to see if anything stands out.
Currently bottleneck stats are not available for restore tasks.
aeccles
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by aeccles »

foggy wrote:With this option enabled, Veeam B&R will not have to perform decompression of backup files on restore, however this operation will be performed during backup. You can disable compression completely, though (keeping space/bandwidth issues in mind).
OK, this is for a backup copy job. Is there anything different or special about decompressing on those? Does the original backup job have to be decompressed as well?
foggy wrote:I would not compare backup and restore times in general, there are too many factors that make this comparison more like an "apples to oranges" one (different amount of read/write operations required, data transfer is performed via different protocols/interfaces, VSS freeze, etc.).

Btw, could you please describe your setup in a bit more details? Source/target/proxies, transport modes used for backup and restore tasks? Probably we could give you a couple of advises on how to improve your restore times.
OK, thanks. I'll follow up on this portion in a few weeks. We're currently making some changes that we know will improve things (switching from NBD to SAN mode), increasing the RAM in the server performing the restore, etc.
foggy wrote: Currently bottleneck stats are not available for restore tasks.
OK, thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We're currently making some changes that we know will improve things (switching from NBD to SAN mode)
Be aware that it's not possible to use Direct SAN mode during restore. However, what you can do in is to add virtual proxy and use a Hot Add proxy for restoration activity. Chances are, the current rates would be improved. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

aeccles wrote:OK, this is for a backup copy job. Is there anything different or special about decompressing on those? Does the original backup job have to be decompressed as well?
Nothing different in terms of compression algorithms between these jobs. No, it should not.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

By default, backup copy job keeps the original backup job compression level for its backup files, but you can set any other if you need, as well as configure decompression on its target repository.