Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AnthonyB
Novice
Liked: never

Adding another copy to Veeam backups

Post by AnthonyB »

Good morning everyone,

I have been tasked with adding another copy to our already working Veeam scheme, and I'm hoping that some minds that have worked this through might be able to help me through this, as I am having some trouble getting it all worked out.

First, I'll start with what I have;

Veeam 7 running on a Hyper-V cluster (its own server within the cluster)
Approximately 2tb (when doing a full)
Nightly backups, which are currently an active full every Friday evening, with regular incrementals the rest of the week. (am open to changing to Reversed Incremental, if need be)
Nightly copy to our DR site, via a LAN extension (100mb)

That is all working fine, as well as a replication, but I won't go into those details, as I don't believe they are relevant to this question.

What I've been tasked to do is get a weekly, which may change to monthly, copy onto a 3tb network/USB drive that can be sent to a data storage facility separately from our DR. I would , preferably, want this to run on the weekend.

I figured I coulduse the backup copy function in Veeam, however, the job settings only go down to 2 restore points. So, that would cause trouble with the math, I can't fit 4tb of data on a 3tb drive...

I already have the necessary registry keys in place to ensure that rotational drives are able to be used.

I would prefer, if possible, to do this all through Veeam without scripting. Any and all help and suggestions are welcomed and valued.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Adding another copy to Veeam backups

Post by foggy »

AnthonyB wrote:I figured I coulduse the backup copy function in Veeam, however, the job settings only go down to 2 restore points. So, that would cause trouble with the math, I can't fit 4tb of data on a 3tb drive...
Backup copy job is always incremental, so you are good to go with a 2TB full and one small increment file on a 3TB drive. That said, since the second restore point is created during second job cycle, in a rotated drives scenario you will always have just a single full in the repository.