Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
AnthonyB
Novice
Liked: never

Transfer Veeam job to another Veeam server in V7

Post by AnthonyB »

Been thinking about this for a while, just need to put the last few pieces together.

I've got a Hyper-V 2012 cluster on-site, with a Hyper-V 2012 off-site DR (non-cluster), Veeam server is v7, fully patched. I've been using Veeam to do replication, backup, backup copy, etc with no issues, but want to move the replication job to a new Veeam server in the DR site.

I found a few articles about moving jobs between servers, but they are for quite old versions of Veeam. I don't want to move the current Veeam server, nor the other backup and backup copy jobs that I have on it, just the replication, and hopefully the current restore points. If this means re-creating the job on the new one with special steps for seeding, just let me know the steps. Anyone know how to accomplish this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Transfer Veeam job to another Veeam server in V7

Post by foggy »

Yes, you will have to create a new job and map the VMs to their existing replicas. The detailed procedure is described in the corresponding user guide section. During the first run, differences between VMs will be calculated and transferred.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

BTW, if this is going to be a brand new server, then you can also export exiting job configuration from the main server, and then import it to the new one. Once you do this remove all unnecessary jobs and leave just replication jobs. Should work!
AnthonyB
Novice

Post by AnthonyB »

Thank you both for your help. I have successfully recreated my job on the DR side of things, and re-mapped the VM's as suggested. If my job were more complicated, I would have definitely used the suggestion of exporting/importing as well.
AzlyAhmad
Novice
Full Name: AzlyAhmad

Post by AzlyAhmad »

Hi All,

I am having the same situation here, where we just setup our DR site and running.
The problem is all replication jobs has stopped for almost 3 weeks in order to complete the DR site settings and configurations.
Now the delta changes for each servers are huge and some of them takes about 3 days to complete the replication job.
How could i deal with this situation.....

and one more situation...

There are also new servers need to be replicated. I have performed the replication job for new server in the Main server.
How could i export the replication jobs from the main server to the DR site server...?
There is only 'Import Backup' option available in Veeam Console...no 'Export' option...
Please advise....
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

AzlyAhmad wrote:The problem is all replication jobs has stopped for almost 3 weeks in order to complete the DR site settings and configurations.
Now the delta changes for each servers are huge and some of them takes about 3 days to complete the replication job.
How could i deal with this situation.....
Have you considered seeding replicas anew to avoid sending those changes over the link between sites?

Btw, do you have proxy servers in both locations for optimal replication performance? Also, are you sure that DR site maintenance did not result in re-registering replica VMs in infrastructure anew, which could cause full replication job runs (not actually incremental)?
AzlyAhmad wrote:There are also new servers need to be replicated. I have performed the replication job for new server in the Main server.
How could i export the replication jobs from the main server to the DR site server...?
There is only 'Import Backup' option available in Veeam Console...no 'Export' option...
Not sure I understand what you're trying to perform here - could you please clarify why do you need to copy replication jobs to another Veeam B&R instance? Or are you talking about backup files?
AzlyAhmad
Novice

Post by AzlyAhmad »

I will try the seeding replicas and hopefully it's work.
For your information we have 10MBps dedication link between DR site and main site.
So that the average throughput that we can get is only 1.2MBps.

We have 2 Veeam B&R servers which running simultaneously. 1 is located at the main site, doing only backup jobs.
Another 1 is located at the DR site(which just been moved about 3 weeks ago), performing only replication jobs.
Due to bandwidth constraint, a new full replication job which been performed from the DR site took me 3 days, data transferred only about 50GB++.
It was really time consuming and it makes the other scheduled replication jobs Pending and Failed.

In order to avoid it to happen again, I had created and performed a New Replication job on Veeam B&R server which located at the main site.
How do it move/transfer the replication job from VeeamB&R server @ the main site to the VeeamB&R @ the DR site.
Expecting the Replication job on VeeamB&R@DRSite will continue doing incremental replication instead of doing full replication all over again.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As mentioned by Alexander, the proper procedure to run incremental cycle, instead of full one, during the initial run is to seed replication job beforehand. The scenario described by you wouldn't work because there is nothing to incrementally replicate to in target location - no VM, no existing restore points associated with it, etc.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

AzlyAhmad wrote:In order to avoid it to happen again, I had created and performed a New Replication job on Veeam B&R server which located at the main site.
How do it move/transfer the replication job from VeeamB&R server @ the main site to the VeeamB&R @ the DR site.
What was the target for this replication job? Local storage or the DR site?
AzlyAhmad
Novice

Post by AzlyAhmad »

The storage for the replicatedVM was on local site, but later i plan to migrate it to the DR site storage.
And then create a new replication job for it on VeeamB&R @ DR site, reassign the storage to the DR site storage.
Will the new created Replication job continue to do incremental replication...?or it will start to do a new full replication..?
:roll: :| :?:
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You will need to map the replication jobs created at the DR site to the existing replica restore points created by the replication job at the local site. Note that the replica VMs should be registered in the virtual environment for that.

Another approach is using backup files created in the local site for replication jobs seeding.
AzlyAhmad
Novice

Post by AzlyAhmad »

Thanks for all the suggestion and advice.
Now i am still migrating the replicated VM to the DRSite storage over WAN.
Will update you guys the status once it's done.
:)