Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
blodsbror
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Evan Williams

Replication ideas

Post by blodsbror »

Hi!

As Veeam only takes care of virtual environments, how do you combine/integrate this with your backups of physical servers in terms of replication/archiving onsite and offsite ?

One idea I had, would be to use a storage repository target such as a Riverbed Whitewater, or Twinstrata - that both Veeam and the 'other software' can both use, and these appliances also include deduplication. This data would the get replicated to a cloud storage vendor. Of course we are mostly virtualized, so it's important the solution plays very well with Veeam.

I'm just interested to hear other stories!:)

cheers!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Replication ideas

Post by veremin »

Most of our customers who still have physical servers in the environment tend to use two solutions to meet their backup requirements (Veeam for virtual, the other for physical). VB&R doesn't provide any specific integration with physical backup solutions, so, it's up to you to choose whatever one you like.

As to the mentioned cloud storages, both are used as the repositories by our customers.

Also, are there any specific reasons why the remaining servers cannot be virtualized?

Thanks.
blodsbror
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Evan Williams

Post by blodsbror »

Thanks for the reply! Virtualization is a great thing of course, however I think it's very important to have some key servers both virtual and physical - such as at least one DC, DNS and NTP server.
Reading that forum post, it sounds like it could be an interesting and cost effective method to use Server 2012 R2 as a backup repository for both software vendors, with deduplication turned on and either locally attached storage or storage via FC/ISCI.

How would you go about replicating that data on the Windows repository to the cloud (S3 for example) ? Can Veeam also replicate the other vendors data sitting on the same server ?.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to replicate this data to the cloud, I would recommend taking a look at our Veeam B&R Cloud Edition that does provide this functionality. Also be aware that we have backup copy jobs, that can allow you syncing backup files stored on the main site with an off-site location.