Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
khoapham
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Khoa Pham

version 3.1 and 4.1, extremly slow, 10Mb/s

Post by khoapham »

Hello gents,

I need your help on this, I tested both version 3.1 and 4.1 and they are extremly slow on my VCB Backup server. I ran them with every possible option I can, included vStorage API, SAN with failover, SAN, Network, VMWare Consolidated Backup SAN mode and Network mode. The maximum speed I have seen so far is with vStorage API and VMWare Consolidated Backup SAN mode which is 12MB/s

On the same machine, If I run VMWare Consolidated backup from DOS command line, I get around 42MB/s to 55MB/s

My server info is
DELL 2650, Xeon 2.0GHz
1GB RAM
QLogic Fibre Channel, 2Gbs, single channel.

Please advice!
khoapham
Novice

Re: version 3.1 and 4.1, extremly slow, 10Mb/s

Post by khoapham »

I forgot to mention, we have 2SANs, 1x DELL AX4-150 and 1x CX4-120, they are both connected through fibre channel cables.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

You have to run the exact same VCB command as found in Veeam Backup logs in order to compare the speed. Otherwise, the image output format will be different, that will affect the speed many times. You should run the command line pointint it to your backup storage location.

As for your issue, please refer to the existing thread for more information on performing VCB speed test:
How to improve backup speed: VCB performance in SAN mode

But I definitely suggest that you use vStorage API SAN mode over VCB.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Well, a Dell 2650 is pretty underpowered for Veeam. We were using that exact machine type not all that long ago. Still, our speeds were slightly better than yours even with that hardware, around 30-40MB/sec normally. We used optimal compression because anything else just about killed the machine. Were you definitely using SAN mode when testing vStorage API?
khoapham
Novice

Post by khoapham »

Just wanted to keep you guys updated, I replaced the old Dell 2650 server with a new 1950 server, 2 Dual Core CPU with HT, 4GB Ram , 4GBs FC card and the speed increased to 60MB/s. Good enough for me, so I sent an email to my sales rep for a quote. Good job Veeam.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Thank you for the update! Glad it works well for you now.