Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mtd
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark TD

Exchange 2010 Database "last full Backup attribute" empty

Post by mtd »

Good Day,

Does Veeam 6.5 change the backup attribute on the General properties tab of an Exchange 2010 database after an full application aware backup?
I have just run a test backup to commit logs after successful backup and the backup attribute mentioned above is blank with no errors on the VSS writer or in the system or application event logs.

If someone who is successfully backing up Exchange 2010 with Veeam 6.5 can check that they have a date and time value for the "Last full backup" and Last incremental backup".

Many thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Exchange 2010 Database "last full Backup attribute" empt

Post by veremin »

The time of last Veeam backup, be it full, or incremental one, should correspond with the attributes that can be found in Exchange database properties.

Do you also have Logs truncation enabled in advanced settings of Application Aware Image Processing option?

Thanks.
audreymann
Lurker
Full Name: Audrey Mann

Post by audreymann »

were you able to fix this mtd , i am having the same issue
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Post by zoltank »

mtd wrote:If someone who is successfully backing up Exchange 2010 with Veeam 6.5 can check that they have a date and time value for the "Last full backup" and Last incremental backup".
I just checked mine and it's showing the date and time of the last backup via Veeam 6.5.
mgamiet
Novice
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Marcina

Post by mgamiet »

mtd wrote:Good Day,

Does Veeam 6.5 change the backup attribute on the General properties tab of an Exchange 2010 database after an full application aware backup?
I have just run a test backup to commit logs after successful backup and the backup attribute mentioned above is blank with no errors on the VSS writer or in the system or application event logs.

If someone who is successfully backing up Exchange 2010 with Veeam 6.5 can check that they have a date and time value for the "Last full backup" and Last incremental backup".

Many thanks
Hello,
We have successful Full Exchange Backup which shows correctly in powershell query:
Get-MailboxDatabase * -Status | ft Identity, LastFullBackup
Result:
Identity LastFullBackup
-------- --------------
DataBaseName 11/24/2013 12:07:24 PM

However, even after successful incremental, we have an empty data so it appears Veeam doesn't stamp incremental Backup successes, just Full.

Get-MailboxDatabase * -Status | ft Identity, LastincrementalBackup
Result - LastIncrementalBackup is empty.
Identity LastIncrementalBackup
-------- ---------------------
DataBaseName

Marcina
davida
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: David Avice

Post by davida »

Our Exchange 2010 server shows the data correctly even on incremental runs. Last full backup was in July this year and its showing yesterdays date which was incremental.
Face
Novice
Full Name: Trent Walsh

[MERGED] : Reverse Incremental & Exchange 2010 Last incremen

Post by Face »

Hi all,

We have only recently been doing Reverse Incrementals on our Exchange 2010 server, and they don't seem to be 'filling in' in 'Last incremental backup' field for the database. What does get filled though is the 'Last full backup'. The Exchange server seems to think that Veeams Reverse Incremental is a Full backup.
I've checked the VSS list and Event Logs and cannot see any errors. It is all reporting fine.

Is this by design because Reverse Incremental most recent restore point is a Full backup?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Trent, full backup should be properly reflected in the Exchange Database. Can you tell me what is specified in the advanced settings of Application Aware Image Processing? Thanks.
Face
Novice

Post by Face »

Hi Vladimir,

Application-aware image processing is enabled, and under Advanced Options the VM has checked 'Require successful application processing' and 'Truncate logs on successful backup only'
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As mentioned, both attributes should be updated in appropriate manner. So, please open a ticket with our support team and let them confirm your environment. Thanks.
Face
Novice

Post by Face »

Well, I logged a ticket with Support and they told me that when backing up Exchange with Veeam and Reverse Incrementals, it doesn't tell Exchange that it is a incremental backup, just a full backup. Which is what I thought since Reverse Incremental most recent point is a full backup
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Backup mode (forward or reversed) should not matter here. Can you please tell me your case ID so I could also take a look?
Face
Novice

Post by Face »

Thanks for taking a look. Case ID: 00557345
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just talked to your support engineer and wanted to clarify a couple of things - backup mode (forward or reversed) does not matter here, seems like there was a confusion between you and your support engineer. As regards the last full backup attribute, then, yes, currently this attribute is filled in only for full backups, not for incremental job passes.
Face
Novice

Post by Face »

That still doesn't seem to answer my problem..
I know the last full backup attribute is filled by the full backups, as it is named 'last full backup'. But in my case, Veeam (reverse) incremental runs seems to be making Exchange think it is a full backup run, and thus 'filling out' the last full backup instead attribute of the last incremental backup attribute.

I am doing Reverse Incremental. Incremental runs every night at 1am. When it runs, it completes successfully, and the Exchange attribute 'Last full backup' gets updated instead of the Exchange attribute 'Last incremental backup'.
Exchange attribute 'Last full backup' gets updated every night.

Exchange Database:

Veeam Exchange Backup Directory:

Veeam Exchange Processing Settings:

Does this make more sense?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Veeam does not take incremental backups of Exchange. Veeam takes incremental backups of the VM image creating "restore points" of the VM. Each of these restore points is a complete, full image of that VM at that point in time, the entire OS, Exchange DBs, and transaction logs. This is an Exchange full backup. Veeam never performs incremental Exchange backups (i.e. backups of only transaction logs), only full backups, although it does this by gathering only the blocks of the VM that changed so the "full" images are created synthetically form the changed data. That's why the Exchange incremental backup attribute is never updated. This is only updated when Exchange transaction logs are backed up with the full image of the database.