Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jensve
Novice
Liked: never

Add server over vpn error: "network path was not found."

Post by jensve »

Hello all,

I'm running an ESXI 5.5 server here with 2 VM's running on it. From one of the VM's, where veeam v7 is installed, i have a vpn connection to a server at home. If i try to connect to it from windows i can access it with no problems. I also can ping the server. But when i want to add te server to veeam with the administrator credentials i get the error: "Network path was not found."

Anyone has any idea how this comes?

Kind regards,

jens
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Add server over vpn error: "network path was not found."

Post by foggy »

Jens, make sure you've opened all the required ports.
jensve
Novice

Post by jensve »

Yes all ports are open.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then please contact technical support for closer look at your environment.
jensve
Novice

Post by jensve »

When i add the server as share i can connect with it. But when i try to do a backup job it fails because the vpn connection is lost for a second. Any thoughts how this can be done more efficiently ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R requires stable connection for the backup job. Typically, Veeam B&R can resist to very bad high latency connections and minor packet loss but if the connection is dropped, the job fails. It is recommended to backup locally first and then use backup copy jobs (that are much more resistant to major connection drops) to send backups over WAN.
jensve
Novice

Post by jensve »

I'm trying that now, I let you know how it works out. This is just a test-setup. But a client of us wants to backup all his vm on one side to the other side. The thing is this is going to be risky i guess and we should suggest that they keep a backup locally aswell.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Not only risky, but also not optimal from the performance viewpoint and would affect production VMs much heavier (think of the time the VM runs on snapshot). So definitely a better approach is to backup locally first (and have an opportunity of fast operational restores). Moreover, backup is not a backup until you have 3 copies of it.
jensve
Novice

Post by jensve »

What would you suggest? The client has 2 sites (for example site A & B) He wants all of his old server from site B away and everything of hardware moved to site A.
In site A they have a esxi server running with 2 VM's, they want to backup the whole vm's. The client only wants to backup from site A to site B over a VPN (but like said above this is kinda risky..)

So suggest they buy 2 NAS servers one for site A & one for site B. Keep all backup jobs at site A and just do backup copy jobs to site B over the vpn or? The client is probably going to buy veeam standard essential (so no wan-accelerators).

What you guys think?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can either purchase NAS boxes to store backups locally or use local storage on the backup server and ESXi host to save the files. As to transferring data across the unstable WAN link then WAN accelerators would definitely be beneficial in this setup. If your client is going to go with Standard Edition, then he should make sure WAN link is stable enough for the backup data transfer.
jensve wrote:Keep all backup jobs at site A and just do backup copy jobs to site B over the vpn or?
This configuration is preferred not only for data transfer optimization, but for quick FLR and VM restores as well. If you have backups locally, then getting the information you need from these backups would be much quicker compared to restoring data over the WAN link.
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

BTW if you are using DNAT somewhere in the setup, you should try to "run the server on this side" on the server that is behind the DNAT. For example, if you are dnatting the target repository, go to your managed server and then edit the server that is hosting the repository (notice not the repository settings itself!). Under the ports button you can check this setting :

ports for windows : http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... tials.html
advanced for linux : http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... r_ssh.html