Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Changing vPower NFS FQDN name

Post by pkelly_sts »

We've recently been migrating servers to a new windows domain including the VB&R server which also hosts vPower.

I recently discovered that 1 out of 3 hosts lost connectivity to the NFS whereas the other two worked fine. I restarted the mgmt. agents on that host as there were other HA errors so that side of things is now good but I've found that when trying to run an instant recovery, it's trying to mount the vPower NFS via the old FQDN rather than the new one.

Where do I correct this? I tried disabling & re-enabling the vPower on this server but it hasn't helped so any suggestions/pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Changing vPower NFS FQDN name

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Paul,

What is the current connection state of vPowerNFS datastores on the hosts? I believe you can safely remove it from the hosts and then re-enable it to create new datastores on the hosts. Have you tried that already?

Thank you!
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

I removed it from the host in question, but didn't want to try removing/re-adding it on the other two as I want to keep what's working rather than break things further.

In fact, I think I'll go through the trouble-shooting steps to add the vPowerNFS to the first server although if it doesn't work automatically as it should then it seems like something needs resolving somewhere.

(Sorry for slow reply, been away a few days)
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Just tried adding the vPowerNFS datastore manually using the *current* FQDN of the VB&R server hosting it & got the following instant error:

Code: Select all

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for object "datastoreSystem-661" on vCenter Server "<server>.<old.dns.name>" failed.
Operation failed, diagnostics report: Unable to resolve hostname '"<server>.<old.dns.name>'
Note: the vCenter server was also migrated to the new domain at the same time and successfully resolves the correct FQDN even if pinging via short name.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Have you re-added the migrated servers (including vCenter) into Veeam B&R console?
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Sorry for delayed reply, been working on Surebackup tasks which have led me back to here anyway!

I did add the servers/vCenter into the VBR console. All backup/replication jobs are working fine and the other two hosts can access the vPower NFS with no problems as well.

I've just confirmed that the DNS configs on all 3 hosts are identical as well.

I can't figure out where/why this one host is picking up the old DNS name from. Think it might be time to log a support ticket...

Paul
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The best strategy, indeed, as thorough log investigation seems to be required in this case. Thanks.