Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
blodsbror
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Evan Williams

compellent VSS hardware provider

Post by blodsbror »

Hi,

We are implementing Veeam with a SC8000 SAN. Can anyone point me to the download location for the VSS provider software ? My searching hasn't turned up anything yet. Hopefully there are other Veeam users with Compellents :)

cheers!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: compellent VSS hardware provider

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Evan,

According to this web page, hardware VSS provider comes together with Replay Manager product. Can you please check if you have it shipped together with your storage?

Thank you!
blodsbror
Enthusiast

Post by blodsbror »

Thanks!. I have downloaded it now, and there is two main components. Replay Manager Service for Windows and Replay Manager Management Tools. The tools is the GUI for using Replay Manager, however in the documentation it doesn't mention about the service including VSS drivers. I'll install it, and see what happens - and update the post.
blodsbror
Enthusiast

Post by blodsbror »

Just as a side note. Does the VSS provider need to be installed on each Hyper-V host in addition to the proxy server ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, hardware VSS provider has to be deployed on the Hyper-V host and off-host proxy server. If you're going to use on-host proxy servers, then you will have everything already configured by default (on-host proxies will be your Hyper-V hosts).
samh22a
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by samh22a »

Hi,
I'm running a large numbers of compellent systems and we are also using hardware VSS for Veeam.. let me know if you have any questions!

You'll probably have to reduce the numbers of concurrent jobs..but beside this..everything should work flawlessly

Sam
blodsbror
Enthusiast

Post by blodsbror »

Thanks for the offer Sam, much appreciated.

When installing the replay manager service on all Hyper-V hosts, is there a GUI application used to point them to the server running replay manager ? Or is it just done in the registry ?.
I have a SC8000 that we are copying VM data to now, so any tips for that in particular would be appreciated :)

Evan
EmpTee
Novice
Liked: never

Post by EmpTee »

http://blog.workinghardinit.work/2014/0 ... r-channel/ is the only documentation I have been able to find on configuring Compellent hardware VSS with Veeam.

Unfortunately I don't have enough replay manager licenses to use off host backup proxy. If I configure as on host backup, do I need to worry about setting SAN policy as the document suggests?

During backup, Disk Management on my test node shows extra connections to my CSV. These disks are mounted as as NTFS rather than CSVFS, and are marked as online. Connections are removed once backup completes.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

SAN policy should be set automatically, but you can check to make sure, as the paper suggests. The behavior you're seeing in the Disk Management snap-in is expected.