Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
felyjos
Veteran
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dominique DUCHEMIN

report on ESX?

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

I am looking for a report which will give me:
- ESX Name / Model / Processors Number / Processor Types
- VM etc..

Thanks,
Dom
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: report on ESX?

Post by Alec King »

Hi Dom,

The report "Configuration Tracking and Alert Correlation" will give you that info.

As the name suggests, this report does quite a lot! It will show you all the properties you want (Hosts - hardware model, BIOS, CPU, VMs - memory, OS, etc etc) - but it will also show you if/when any properties changed, over the report period. And it will help you correlate those changes with alerts received at the same time, so you can see if a certain change caused an alert storm!

But if you just want the inventory data - then you can run that report with date range of 1 day, and you will get a snapshot of your environment right now.

Hope that answers your question!
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Thanks Alec, let me run it
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Thanks a lot this is is giving all the information needed... Even I discovered two Clusters not monitored by the Veeam MP in SCOM !!!!
They are listed on the collectors (Veeam Virtualization Extensions For System Center) with their ESXs with a status "Monitored" but they appear as not monitored in SCOM !!!

Thanks,
Dom
Alec King
VP, Product Management

Post by Alec King »

That's great Dom! Glad you're enjoying the Configuration report :D

If you have some Clusters which show as "Not Monitored" in SCOM....could be there is a probem with the Collector or SCOM agent that is monitoring those Clusters.
Are there any Alerts in the Collector Health Dashboard in SCOM? Any Collectors overloaded, or showing data collection problems?

Cheers
Alec
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

No Alert and the state is healthy for the collectors used by these Clusters !!!
Other Clusters on these Collectors are fine, Other Cluster from the same site are fine!
I will launch a Rebuild Full Topology to see if there is any alert coming in...

Thanks,
Dom
Alec King
VP, Product Management

Post by Alec King »

OK!

Another thing to check - make sure Veeam connection account (in vCenter) has got at least read-only permissions to these Clusters. If the Role permissions are restricted (like "No Access") to the Hosts in those Clusters - then our Collector won't be able to get data...

Let us know how it goes!
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Thanks, Where do I see this account ? in Veeam Virtualization Extensions For System Center or in the vCenter itself?
I saw the account under VMware Server > Connection in Veeam Virtualization Extensions For System Center... let me check if it has access to the Clusters...

But this means that the Collectors are able to see the Cluster and the ESXs even this account has issues to collect data?

The same User/Group are listed under the permissions of all clusters.

Thanks,
Dom
Alec King
VP, Product Management

Post by Alec King »

You'll see that account in both places - in VMware Server > Connection, and also in vCenter where it should have a Read-Only Role (at minimum)

And if some Host(s), or even VM(s) have been set with No Access for our collection account - or even if that account permissions has not been propagated to those objects- then you could get some strange behaviour from our Collector (like broken topology with missing objects)

But the problem could also be on SCOM agent side - difficult to tell. You were right to try Rebuild Topology first, after 20 minutes or so that might fix it (or throw some alerts that give a clue to the problem)

Let us know!
Cheers
Alec
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

The permissions are inherited from the DataCenter level. The Propagate check box is checked at all levels DataCenter > Clusters > Hosts .
The User Group vCenterRead-Only is present with the role vCenter Read-Only.

The rebuild should be done now and the two clusters are still not monitored in SCOM..

Thanks,
Dom
Alec King
VP, Product Management

Post by Alec King »

Hi Dom,

Ok next thing I'd try is to clear the SCOM agent cache. Maybe the problem is on agent side.

It's the second option in this article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 2884.aspx/

After that, if clusters are still unmonitored - then please open a case with our support, they'll find the problem.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

But the Cluster/ESX/VMs do not have an agent as they worked through the Veeam MP... I will clear the agent of the collectors...
Thanks,
Have a nice week-end

Dom
Alec King
VP, Product Management

Post by Alec King »

Yes, apologies, that's what I meant to say - the agent on the Collector that monitors these Cluster(s).

You have a great weekend too!

Cheers
Alec