Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
JVE
Lurker
Liked: never

File to Tape job hangs on WaitingTape

Post by JVE »

Hi all,

I'm using several jobs in Veeam 7.0.0.771 and one of them is File to Tape. It's a pretty simple and straight forward job where it copies a folder on an iSCSI drive to a tape. This is working fine for some time now. However, recently I started to see strange behavior in the duration of this job. Usually it takes about 1.5 to 2 hours, but sometimes it suddenly takes 12 hours or more.

Right now, this job seems to be broken. It's hanging on "WaitingTape" and nothing happends.

We're using a rotation scheme with different tapes for each day of the week and another tape at the last day of each month for a monthly backup. There is no pattern in the duration of the backup job and the tape used. Also, nothing has changed in our setup between the moment it was working fine and the moment it stopped working.

I've already tried the logical steps like restarting Veeam, restarting the server, restarting the tape drive, trying a different tape, using a cleaning tape in the drive, but nothing helps. Also, the SCD on the tape drive is blank so that doesn't give any information either.

I'm kind of clueless on what to try now and I'm hoping somebody here can help me out. Some extra information:

- Windows 2008 R2 (VM)
- IBM Ultrium HH5 tape drive
- Dell LTO5 tapes
- Dell PowerVault 114x housing
- Veeam 7.0.0.771

All help is much appreciated, thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: File to Tape job hangs on WaitingTape

Post by veremin »

You might get "waiting for a new tape" status message when the currently inserted medium can't be used for some reason, for instance, the specified retention period isn't expired yet. Can you confirm that this isn't the issue in your case? If not, feel free to open a case with out support team and let them confirm if everything is setup correctly. Thanks.