Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rausch88
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam Tape Libary locking

Post by rausch88 »

Hy
Does Veeam locking a Tape Libary?
And how can I unlock it?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape Libary unlok

Post by veremin »

Yep, it does lock corresponding device while performing scan/backup operations. However, you implement this regkey in order to prevent this behaviour.

Thanks.
rausch88
Lurker

Post by rausch88 »

Ok
Does it unlock the Libary automaticly after the Backup?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

No, this regkey will disable the tape rescan and the drive would not be locked, however tape functionality in Veeam B&R would be unavailable as well.
veremin
Product Manager

Re: Veeam Tape Libary locking

Post by veremin »

And don't forget to restart corresponding service in order to apply changes. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

rausch88 wrote:Does it unlock the Libary automaticly after the Backup?
Yes, the library is released after the scan/backup operation completes (I guess this is what you were asking about).
meijerhj
Novice

Post by meijerhj »

v.Eremin wrote:Yep, it does lock corresponding device while performing scan/backup operations. However, you implement this regkey in order to prevent this behaviour.

Thanks.
That regkey doesn't seem to do what it is supposed to do. I have upgraded Veeam from 6.5 to 7 lastest patch and now I have trouble with our autoloader.

We use EMC Networker to write backups to a Dell autoloader and do not want to use Veeam tape backup feature however Veeam is continuously claiming the autoloader. This is causing problems when Networker has to perform a library operation and the library is not available.

I have already opened a support ticket with Veeam, so far they don't have an answer how to disble tape/autoloader functionality or solve this problem.

Below is an example of what is happing:

Code: Select all

apr 30 16:02:55 NetWorker media: (warning) Jukebox `PV124T' Hardware status of jukebox 'PV124T' changed from 'ready' to 'cannot access the hardware'
apr 30 16:04:00 NetWorker media: (info) Jukebox `PV124T' Hardware status of jukebox 'PV124T' changed from 'cannot access the hardware' to 'ready'
apr 30 16:09:21 NetWorker media: (warning) Jukebox `PV124T' Hardware status of jukebox 'PV124T' changed from 'ready' to 'cannot access the hardware'
apr 30 16:10:25 NetWorker media: (info) Jukebox `PV124T' Hardware status of jukebox 'PV124T' changed from 'cannot access the hardware' to 'ready'
apr 30 16:15:14 NetWorker media: (warning) Jukebox `PV124T' Hardware status of jukebox 'PV124T' changed from 'ready' to 'cannot access the hardware'
apr 30 16:16:18 NetWorker media: (info) Jukebox `PV124T' Hardware status of jukebox 'PV124T' changed from 'cannot access the hardware' to 'ready'
apr 30 16:40:22 NetWorker media: (warning) Jukebox `PV124T' Hardware status of jukebox 'PV124T' changed from 'ready' to 'cannot access the hardware'
apr 30 16:41:26 NetWorker media: (info) Jukebox `PV124T' Hardware status of jukebox 'PV124T' changed from 'cannot access the hardware' to 'ready'
apr 30 16:46:15 NetWorker media: (warning) Jukebox `PV124T' Hardware status of jukebox 'PV124T' changed from 'ready' to 'cannot access the hardware'
apr 30 16:47:20 NetWorker media: (info) Jukebox `PV124T' Hardware status of jukebox 'PV124T' changed from 'cannot access the hardware' to 'ready'
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The said regkey should completely disable tape scans performed by VB&R. Can you, please, provide your ticket number, so that, I can take a look at your case? Thanks.
meijerhj
Novice

Post by meijerhj »

My ticket number is Case # 00557835, as I understood the ticket was send to the escalation team last friday. At this moment I'm waiting for a response.

I wonder how you can remove a autoloader/tape device from Veeam, there seems no option to do this. The autoloader stays visible in Veeam even after removing it physically from the system.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

So, you're saying that even if you remove the tape device from the given server, it will still stay online in VB&R, right? The case is in German, so, I can't review it. However, according to the latest reply (dated today's morning), higher tier engineer has taken over your case, and will contact you soon, once the required logs are analyzed.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

meijerhj wrote:I wonder how you can remove a autoloader/tape device from Veeam, there seems no option to do this. The autoloader stays visible in Veeam even after removing it physically from the system.
There's actually a command on the library/drive shortcut menu allowing to remove it from Veeam B&R console (Remove Library or Remove Drive) available if the library is offline or not connected. Have you tried that?
meijerhj
Novice

Post by meijerhj »

@v.Eremin
Most of the correspondation of the case is in Dutch. This morning I received an email from the person who will take over the case and who will contact me after reviewing the logs.

@foggy
The option to remove the library is always greyed out, even if the library is physically removed from the system.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

meijerhj wrote:The option to remove the library is always greyed out, even if the library is physically removed from the system.
Most likely this is because you have disabled library rescan operation prior removing it (by setting the above-mentioned registry key). Veeam B&R just doesn't know that it is not connected anymore. To remove the library now, you need to remove the key and restart the backup service. Library rescan will be attempted and it will go offline. After that you will be able to remove it from Veeam B&R console.

Regarding the key issue itself, have you restarted the backup service after creating it?
meijerhj
Novice

Post by meijerhj »

Veeam support has solved the problem by manually deleting/cleaning records from the Veeam SQL database.

@foggy
All actions you described were tried with no luck, only manually editing the Veeam SQL database finally solved the issue.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for giving the update on this, much appreciated.