Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
lococola
Novice
Liked: never

File to Tape does not select/see all files in a folder

Post by lococola »

Hello,

I'm a bit new to backups, especially using Veeam, but I really like the ease of use of the applications so far. I do have an issue though with getting some files backed up to tape using Veeam Backup and Replication (latest version).
I Did a search on the internet and this forum, but couldn't find a solution, hence this post.

Here is how we've set it up now:
* Veeam Backup and Replication does a Reversed Incremental backup to disk every day. The backup files (.vrb & .vbk) are stored in a local folder on the server. This works fine.
* The client has requested that these files are backed up to tape.
* I have created a File to Tape job (using the Standard edition so no Backup to Tape option), and selected the main folder that contains the backup files.
* When running the backup, Veeam only indexes the .vrb files. It doesn't index the .vbk file, and also not the VeeamConfigBackup folder, and as such these are not backed up to tape.

I have tried every kind of setting in the options. Currently none of the options in the File to Tape menu are enabled (shadow copy, hardware compression, eject and export all unchecked), but it still only seems to recognize the .vrb files.

Could this be caused by the fact that I'm doing Reversed Incrementals? And the act of copying the file to tape changes the archive bit which might screw up the backup if done on the .vbk file?
Or maybe it's something else altogether?

I'm kind of stumped here, and I do appreciate any advice!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: File to Tape does not select/see all files in a folder

Post by veremin »

Are you running a tape job at the same time the backup one is running? Thanks.
lococola
Novice

Post by lococola »

No, the tape job runs after the disk job is finished, so it's the only active job running.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If there is no process that locks backup files at the time of tape job runs, then, these files should be copied to tape mediums without any issues. I recommend you opening a ticket with our support team and letting them investigate it directly, as described behavior doesn't look expected. Thanks.
lococola
Novice

Post by lococola »

Will do, thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Once opened, please, post your ticket number here for the convenience of future readers. Thanks.