Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Lyle
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Lyle Ryan

MS SQL Server - Veeam backup vs agent-based backup method

Post by Lyle »

Sorry, but I'm not too familiar with SQL Server (or Veeam for that matter).

What I am familiar with is backing up Oracle with an agent-based backup system. There I typically backup nightly exports (which are static) and the transaction logs, and a restoral means importing the previous exports then replaying the transaction logs. The other method is to purchase the vendor's (typically) add-on product that works with Oracle's RMAN interface and allows on-line backups of a live database.

I see videos & explanations about how to do Veeam restorals of SQL Server. But I don't understand how Veeam would do a valid backup of a live database. Don't you have to be concerned with the live transactions that are going on. I'm thinking it's not like just backing up static files. I don't need to backup or restore an SQL Server at this point, just trying to understand how basic Backup & Replicate handles this.

Thanks for any advice....Lyle
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: MS SQL Server - Veeam backup vs agent-based backup metho

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Lyle, Veeam B&R uses application-aware image processing to create transactionally consistent backup of a VM running such VSS-aware applications as SQL Server, Exchange, and others without powering them off. Not only does it ensure successful VM recovery, as well as proper recovery of all applications installed on the VM without any data loss, but also it notifies applications about them being backed up.
nhammes
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Nathan Hammes

Re: MS SQL Server - Veeam backup vs agent-based backup metho

Post by nhammes » 1 person likes this post

Lyle, to complement everything Foggy said, check out our new Explorer for SQL as well that was just announced - significant extensions in SQL backup & restore capabilities!
http://www.veeam.com/blog/the-veeam-exp ... d-sql.html
http://go.veeam.com/v8-explorers.html

thanks!