Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Adrian Hinton

How is the VBR % (Percentage) Completed Status calculated?

Post by AdrianHinton »

Hi,

How is the % (Percentage) Completed Status calculated for a Backup-Copy job? I have a VM where the second to last disk has the most amount of change during backups and when the copy job gets to this disk, the % Completed Status has usually hit around 75% and then slows right down.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How is the VBR % (Percentage) Completed Status calculate

Post by foggy »

Adrian, that does not seem to be accurate at first sight. I will check with devs on that. Probably it takes overall VM disks size as 100% and reports the processed amount of data (considering the changes are equally distributed between the disks).
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Looks like my guess was correct. Progress stats is calculated as the amount of processed data to the total disks size ratio. Hence slower progress on processing disk with huge amount of changes.
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Adrian Hinton

Post by AdrianHinton »

foggy wrote:Looks like my guess was correct. Progress stats is calculated as the amount of processed data to the total disks size ratio. Hence slower progress on processing disk with huge amount of changes.
Thank you foggy. This seems logical based on my experience. I think however, it would be nice if it was calculated on the amount of total change that is to be transferred to the target so that an indication of 33% completion would represent that the job has approx. 66% of time remaining to complete.

Thanks again.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yep, that would be more precise indeed and actually this was already discussed and tried. However, if we want to avoid slow stage of calculating changes, the only way to get them is using CBT, which sometimes can result in incorrect stats (e.g. in case of broken CBT on initial backup), so the currently implemented approach looks more solid.