Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
roordai
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Isaac Roorda

Report on Restores

Post by roordai »

We have our Backup Exec server set up to audit all restore jobs and send a weekly email report; this provides accountability in case anyone is trying to get around file permissions by restoring from a backup. I am looking for a way to provide a similar report on Veeam restore jobs. I could probably do this with a script that crawls the Veeam log directory and emails files with "restore" in the name; not an elegant solution, but it might work. Can anyone suggest a more sophisticated way to accomplish my goal?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Report on Restores

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I guess the only way to accomplish is that is to use PowerShell. If you could describe the report you want, our PowerShell gurus might chime in and see what can be done with v6 functionality.
roordai
Novice
Full Name: Isaac Roorda

Post by roordai »

I would like to be able to send a report that lists all restore jobs (of any type - FLR, AIR, whole VM, etc.) run within the last seven days, along with date, time, and which VM was restored. The report itself does not need to list a great deal more information than this; it would just be nice to see at a glance whether any restore jobs were performed that warrant investigation.

Is there a way to accomplish this with PowerShell?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Think so, but try posting in the corresponding subforum, and you may get some help from other community members on that.
sdeath
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stuart Death

[MERGED] Restore report

Post by sdeath »

Hello,

I am using Veeam 6.1. Is there any way to produce a report for a restore? I know you can get the statistics but audit are asking for a report as proof of a restore and I can't find a way of doing this.

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore report

Post by foggy »

Stuart, did you have a chance to look at the session report available in the session's shortcut menu? It contains cumulative session statistics as well as detailed statistics for every VM processed within the particular restore session.
sdeath
Influencer

Re: Restore report

Post by sdeath »

Hi Foggy,

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean the restore session under history? This only gives me the statistics. I know I can copy the contents of the log and paste it into document but was hoping for something similar to the html reports for backups. Basically something I can print out and give the auditors.

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Seems that report is available for the job sessions only, not the restore ones, sorry. Then you might consider PowerShell to create such a report.
sdeath
Influencer

Post by sdeath »

Okay, thanks anyway. Maybe I could add as a feature request. Is there anywhere I can do this?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

On this very forum. ;)
sdeath
Influencer

Post by sdeath »

Nice one! Thank you.
Colin
Lurker
Full Name: Colin Dalziel

[MERGED] : Feature Request Restore Report

Post by Colin »

I can see that this topic has been raised before [see http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-re ... ?hilit=FLR Report#p45065] but there doesn't appear to have been a Feature Request logged or any solution discovered to provide this basic level functionality.

We have the same requirement as previous posters i.e. provide a detailed report of Restore Jobs for historical and audit records.

I've searched the VBR log files and can't find all the information we require i.e when the Restore Job happened, which items were selected for restore, the location of the restored data and the completion status of the job.

I'm probably displaying my lack of knowledge of VBR her but there doesn't appear to be any historical record of Restore Jobs other than statistics, so I'm assuming that every Restore Job is a one off and can't be repeated without recreating the Job from scratch. The current issue I'm trying to deal with is a File Level Restore Job created by another user who is no longer available to confirm the details of the job created. The Restore Session report in History only shows that a job was initiated through to completed but there'e no information relating to what was selected for restore and where it was restored to, if original location or redirected.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Colin,

Have you already seen the predefined report called "Restore Operator Activity" that is provided in Veeam ONE? Might be exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks.
moutonk
Lurker
Full Name: Kris

Post by moutonk »

Case # 02198666
For auditing purposes we need to be able to present reports on backup and restore activities. While for backup jobs this is possible in Veeam Backup & Replication, we do not have that option for restore jobs.

--> Veeam support suggests Veeam One.

I have seen that Veeam ONE offers something like that, but:

* we do NOT have Veeam ONE, nor do we seek to buy/install it (since we are a single Veeam B&R installation site, which is working fine for us)
* why doesn't a standalone, full product like Veeam B&R offer a possibility to run a report on a restore job while you can already do it on a backup job?

When I look at the threads on the Veeam forum this issue was already raised several times on the Veeam forum for years now, so I would have thought (hoped) that Veeam dev would have implemented this in the newest versions.

Auditors (both SOX and internal) become more and more demanding when it comes to proof of execution, and standard reports play an import role in this.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Kris,

Thank you for your feedback. Full blown reporting (required by auditing) is indeed available in Veeam ONE only (part of Availability Suite), but if you want to create your own report today, maybe these PowerShell scripts will help.

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Kris,
Just curious what kind of monitoring tool are you using? There is new Veeam Content Pack for Log Insight which is free and provides information about restores.
Thanks!
moutonk
Lurker
Full Name: Kris

Post by moutonk »

Hello Shestakov,

Thank you for your reply. We are not using any monitoring tool like Log Insight at this time.

The thing is: if you buy a backup tool, it is not only to do backups, but also to be able to do restores. And that is what Veeam (obviously) can do. The backup process is supported with the ability to do reporting, but restoring isn't.
That does NOT make sense. I think VeeAM is a fantastic piece of software, but the lack of this kind of basis reporting is really not understandable to me.

Kris
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Kris,
you are right, but the idea is that Veeam Backup and Replication is a data protection tool, while Veeam ONE is a monitoring, reporting and management tool. Veeam Availability Suite is VBR+VONE.
However, you may also review list of restores in Backup console "History view", clicking on "Restore" node.
Thanks!
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Post by johannesk »

Is Veeam working on better reporting on restores? The restore report that you can see for 24 hours from within VBR console is alot better then the restore reporting from witin Veeam ONE. If only that particular report had more information, it could be great. If you only added information about 'End time' and data size would make the current report so much more useful.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jóhannes,
Yes, we are planning to update Restore Operator Activity in the next releases.
Thanks for the feedback about end time and data size!
If you have more comments, please share.