Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nils.rune.hjelle
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nils Rune Hjelle

Backup job with archiving in mind

Post by nils.rune.hjelle »

Hi everybody.

I have a Veeam Backup & Replication job where I save 31 restore points (one month). I want to create a backup copy job where I take the last restore point of each month and store this for several years. How would I go about doing this? I've looked at the alternatives under "target" in the new backup copy job wizard, but I do have to admit I'm confused.

Kind regards,
Nils Rune Hjelle
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup job with archiving in mind

Post by veremin »

Set copy every interval to 30 days, and specify whatever number of monthly-worth restore points you want to keep (target settings of backup copy job). That's being said, if you want to keep restore point for 2 years, set 24 as a value, for 3 years - 36, etc.
nils.rune.hjelle
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nils Rune Hjelle

Post by nils.rune.hjelle »

v.Eremin wrote:Set copy every interval to 30 days, and specify whatever number of monthly-worth restore points you want to keep (target settings of backup copy job). That's being said, if you want to keep restore point for 2 years, set 24 as a value, for 3 years - 36, etc.
Thank you. What about the "restore points to keep" option which is also found under target settings? Is that irrelevant when it comes to the archiving? If I understand you correctly I could in theory set "restorepoints to keep = 1" and "montly backup=36" if I want to archive for three years.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The said option refers to GFS retention scheme. It's recommended for those who aren't satisfied with simple retention mode. However, given your requirements, simple mode with the described configuration should be enough. Set copy interval to 30 days and restore points to keep to 36, if you're after storing monthly worth restore points for three years.

Thanks.
Dsmelser
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Smelser

Post by Dsmelser »

Won't there be a disk space difference & restore time differences?

If you set copy interval to 30 days and restore points to keep to 36, you should have one full plus 35 incrementals.
If you use GFS, then the monthly backups will be full back ups (36 full back ups).

Also, you can have better control of date of the backups if you use GFS (can use 1 sunday of the month or 1st of the month, etc.).
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

In case of simple retention scheme, the backup copy job will consume less space. As to restore time, there is unlikely to be any difference.

I've proposed the simplest approach, but it's up to you to chose whatever one you want.

Thanks.