Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
regnak2012
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael

Archive Repository to Tape

Post by regnak2012 »

Hi,
We've two physical Proxy Servers, each with a Repository but only one is connected to the Tape Library. I setup a Tape Backup Job to archive both Repositories to Tape, but only the local one was copied. I read the documentation but it's not clear to me how to get the remote repository archived also? We're using Veeam B&R 7.0 with the latest patch. Any advice appreciated, Thanks!

Mike
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Archive Repository to Tape

Post by foggy »

Michael, currently Veeam B&R allows working with tape devices that are directly attached to the server it is installed on. Support for tape drives/libraries connected to proxy servers will be added in one of the future releases. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Is the tape device device directly connected to management server? Are both repositories connected to the same management server? If so, then, both of them should be backed up by backup to tape job. So, you might want to open a ticket with our support team, as the described behavior doesn't look expected. Thanks.
regnak2012
Influencer

Post by regnak2012 »

Hi,
Unfortunately not - the Repositories are in different DataCenters attached to different Servers. I've a few options after reviewing the link provided:

Further Partition the Library - may introduce a previously seen bug so there is a risk with this
The Remote Repository is on iSCSI Hardware (fully replicated), I could snap this and present to the Server with the Tape Library attached, but automating this on a week basis will be difficult
All singing, all dancing - Veeam 8 !!
Revert to using one Management Server for all backup jobs, need to reconfigure 35+ Datastore level jobs....this is my preferred option currently
Present remote Repository back via Windows Server iSCSI? Windows Share? Will this be treated as local by Veeam then?
Use 3rd party utility to present Tape Library via iSCSI to Server connected to remote Repository

All interesting options! Will discuss with the team and see which one comes out as favorite.

Thanks for the advice and swift responses.
Regards,
Mike
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Unfortunately not - the Repositories are in different DataCenters attached to different Servers.
You mean "to different VB&R servers", right? If so, the described behavior looks expected, as both servers are unaware of each other, and each other components, such as proxy servers, repositories, etc.

If you want to archive both repositories, using one backup server, then, they should be added via one backup console.

Thanks.
regnak2012
Influencer

Post by regnak2012 »

Hi,
I'm probably not using the right terminology but do you mean there's a way to configure the backup server to be aware of both the local and remote repository?

Veeam Backup Server A - Repository A - Tape Library
Veeam Backup Server B - Repository B
Both have Veeam Backup & Recovery 7 installed, each lists the other in the Backup Infrastructure/Backup Proxies & Backup Repositories section

I'll probably get onto Technical support so they can explain it to me better but if there's a potential solution I'm overlooking I'd be grateful if you could elaborate.

Thanks
Mike
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Is there any connection between backup server A and repository B? If yes, you can add this repository to the console of backup server A without any issues. From my perspective, if you want to copy both repositories to tapes, you will have to combine two backup servers into one somehow.

Thanks.
regnak2012
Influencer

Post by regnak2012 »

Thanks,

Interesting! The Servers have connectivity and can communicate. The Remote Repository is an iSCSI presented LUN but although I can present that to both servers Windows won't like that! I can add the Remote Repository in Veeam and import the jobs but that won't address the issue getting it to Tape. That's where I'm stuck. I could pull the plug and just present both Repositories to a single Backup server, I'm just trying to edge around that....

Regards,
Mike
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Are there any reasons behind decision of using two separate VB&R installations? Even if these sites are in different locations, having two backup servers isn't mandatory as you can do everything with one backup console and multiple backup proxies deployed locally in each site.

The idea was that if there is a connection between two sites, may be you can combine two backup servers into one, and start archiving both repositories to tapes, using one backup console.

Thanks.
regnak2012
Influencer

Post by regnak2012 »

I was leaning towards having a fully resilient architecture so that if Datacenter A fails, I can quickly recovery by importing backups into the B&R Server in Datacenter B. I know you can do an install / restore config and there's more work maintaining two full instances but being physical servers I thought this would overcome the site limitation. From what you're saying there is certainly the option to strip one of the servers down to just Proxy. Is it possible to have the backup console on a VM or does that interfere with Tape?

Regards,
Mike
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Currently, in order to have the ability to copy backup/files to tapes, the tape device has to be directly attached to backup console. In most cases it means that backup server has to be a physical machine. However, some users become creative and bypass existing limitation using certain tool that allows you to expose physically connected device via ISCSI protocol.

Thanks.
regnak2012
Influencer

Post by regnak2012 »

Thanks,
I that about helps me fully understand my options at this point. Appreciate all the advice!

Regards,
Mike
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should any other clarification be needed, don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks.
Shralok
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Shralok

Post by Shralok »

I would love to piggyback off of this to ensure that I am understanding this situation correctly.

Thanks Mike for making the post and giving me some insight on my current setup.

I have my physical Veeam Backup Server at Site B (in my datacenter) which runs all jobs for both of my sites, A & B.
I use Hyper-V hosts as the backup proxies at Site A and also at Site B.
At Site A (HQ) I have a physical server that I use as a repository and this repository is available on the Veeam Backup Server at Site B (obviously).
(This physical server at Site A also has Veeam installed and can see Site B repository and WAN Accelerator but it has no jobs configured.)
I run Backup jobs during the day and Backup Copy jobs during the night using WAN Accelerators (physical repository server at Site A & Veeam Backup Server at Site B).
My Dell PowerVault TL2000, however, is at Site A.

If I am understanding this thread correctly, the Dell PowerVault TL2000 should really be at Site B?

Would I be able to utilize the physical repository server at Site A (which has Veeam installed already but not in use) to somehow do my monthly backups to tape?

Or should I just move the Dell PowerVault TL2000 to the datacenter?

I have tried a tape job from Site B and it always fails due to network conditions. I also think in this case it is copying the data back to Site A and writing it to tape, which is extremely a bad idea. :mrgreen:

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

From my perspective, you have three options:

1) Utilize VB&R#A in conjunction with file to tape job. Select local backup repository as a source for file to tape job and make sure that at the time of archive operation files aren't locked by backup jobs executed from VB&R#B.
2) If you want to use backup to tape jobs, you should start utilizing VB&R#A, instead of VB&R#B, orchestrating all activity from it. In this case, moving PowerVault to site#B will give nothing, as there are only restore points created by backup copy job. Such restore points can't be used as a source for backup copy job.
3) Move PowerVault to site#B. Use VB&R#B in conjunction with file to tape job. Select repository that stores backup copy jobs as a source for file to tape job and make sure that at the time of archive operation files aren't locked by backup copy jobs.

Thanks.
Shralok
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Shralok

Post by Shralok »

Thanks. Option 3 sounds the best since we would like to have fully operational Veeam infrastructure in case of Site A having catastrophic physical events. We will just need tape rotation from the datacenter as our sites are geographically disparate and I would not be able to swap tapes.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, stick to option 3, just make sure that no jobs are running at the moment of archive activity. Also, be aware that once backup copy job reaches the specified retention, the full backup will start moving forward on regular basis. So, once retention is reached, each archive cycle a completely new full backup will be transferred to tape mediums.

Thanks.