Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nickmancini
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Mancini

Windows Storage Server

Post by nickmancini »

Client wishes to purchase a NAS device running Windows Storage Server. Device is a high-rely BNAS HRS-201.

Single vSphere server using internal SAS storage for VMs.

Objective is to use the NAS as a storage for VM backups & replicas, and, (if possible) if the production server's internal RAID fails, to fire up the VMs from the NAS to get the system back up & running (albeit, with much slower performance).

I've read in the 4.1 release notes that Veeam is incompatible with Windows Storage Server. Not sure what the limitations are. Is the incompatibility referring to running Veeam on the Windowes Storage Server, or, using WSS as a NAS drive to store backups & replicas?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Windows Storage Server

Post by Gostev »

This refers only to running Veeam application on the Windows Storage Server. Thank you.
nickmancini
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Mancini

Post by nickmancini »

Wonderful - Thanks!

(I LOVE the rapid responses on this forum. Great Job!)
jayscarff
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times

Post by jayscarff »

Hi,

Can Veeam 9.5 U4 run on Windows Storage servers? I only really need the proxy and repository roles nothing else. I would assume rolls are fine, https://www.veeam.com/kb1923 this looks old though....

Thanks
Jason
Jason
VMCE
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Jason,

Good catch. The article is indeed old but I do believe still relevant so I will ask our support team to look into it. As Anton states, Veeam "itself" cannot run on a storage server, but a windows storage server can be used as a repository server, and as a proxy server also. What storage server are you running? (I believe there is no 2019 version and I am even not aware of MSFT plans to make a 2019 version...)
jayscarff
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times

Post by jayscarff »

Thanks Mike, 2016 will do just fine :)
Jason
VMCE